the future of Gattaca

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

the future of Gattaca

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:36 pm

what do you think of the future, as portrayed in the movie Gattaca? in it, people's lives are dictated based on the results of DNA tests, most people are genetically engineered to spoof these tests. the movie features someone who isn't genetically engineered, and whose been condemned to a life of mediocraty. he learns to fake the tests, and ultimately, manages to do things that not even some of the most gifted people could do. this is attrubted to sheer force of will and the thought that mind can pervail over matter (in this case, ones DNA).

also, although genetic engineering is legal, employement discrimination based off of DNA is illegal. of course, everyone does it, as its very easy to get DNA samples (as the movie demonstrates).

i think that if genetic engineering were outlawed, it might not be so bad. as it is, only the well to do can affored to have more people who could maintain a well to do life style. as such, if it were outlawed, the children of poor people would (perhapes) have just as much chance at "well-to-do" lives as the children of rich people would.

also, to combat the "force of will" aspect that allowed for, in the movie gatacca, a non-genetically engineered person to out perform a genetically engineered one, you could hire based on both the accomplishments ones made in their free time and ones DNA.

so, anyway, what do you think (of my idea, or of the future in Gattaca, in general)?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Some Unreg Punk » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:48 pm

"also, to combat the "force of will" aspect that allowed for, in the movie gatacca, a non-genetically engineered person to out perform a genetically engineered one, you could hire based on both the accomplishments ones made in their free time and ones DNA. "

but how would that combat it? A business in such a future could just make sure to hire a few non gentically enchanced people to make it look like it's not dicriminating.
Some Unreg Punk
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:12 am

but how would that combat it? A business in such a future could just make sure to hire a few non gentically enchanced people to make it look like it's not dicriminating.

the percentage of non-genetically engineered people vs. genetically engineered people would tell you about as much individiaul case of employee discrimination as population breakdowns of the US tell you about a small town. i mean, while 25% of the people in the US may be genetically engineereed, that doesn't mean 25% of the people in every town are genitically engineered.

so, anyway, i think what you described would (or atleast should) do little to curb investigations into discrimination.

as for what the punishments should be to deter discrimination, and how individual cases should be handled - i'll leave that to trial and error, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone