EULA ideas

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

EULA ideas

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:33 am

EULA's (or end user license agreements) are commonly go unread by most people. this results in people agreeing to things that they would never normally agree to. as such, i think a good idea might be to make a law requiring that all software give a short quiz over EULA's before the software lets itself be installed.

on the surface, this seems like it might be a bad thing, because it would really burden customers. i mean, cd keys and activation are bad enough, right?

thinking about it, however, i don't think it would be all that bad. i think public outcry might encourage a sort of standardization of EULA's, so that, ultimately, anyone could pass the quiz.

watcha think?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 am

I completely disagree.

I'll say the same thing here that I say for the whole "fat and fast food" thing that's been plaguing the waves. Why should I have to pay for some one else's mistakes?

If they don't read the EULA agreement, and end up installing some adware or having their computers resources used to caculate and serve commands for some other use, that's their problem. As far as I'm concerned, they got what they deserved. I sure as hell don't feel sorry for any of them.

----Me having a Maddox moment----
I AM, however, all for a Computer Literacy course that should be required by all computer users. When you graduate, you get a license to operate a computer. No license, no computer.

In order to even turn on a computer, you have to insert this license card into a standardized slot that will turn the computer on, and log you in as the user.

Any stupid thing you do on the computer, say, open a attachment conatining a virus, you get a mark against you, and it goes onto your card.

Let a friend borrow your card and they do something stupid, guess who get's the mark? You do, for being a moron and letting your dip-sh!t excuse of a friend borrow your card.

And after so many marks against you, guess what happens? That's right, no more computer for you, loser!

Ahhh, one less moron on the internet.

Now you can go back to doing the things you used to do, like playing with knives and "accidently" stabbing yourself. Or you could just sulk in a corner, writhing in self pity over your miserable, bane existence on this planet.

It'll be great. :D

22,467 people agree with what I say, even though they're infected with a virus and some guy is on a shopping spree, provided by their VISA card.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:33 am

hehe - i like your maddox moment! :)

If they don't read the EULA agreement, and end up installing some adware or having their computers resources used to caculate and serve commands for some other use, that's their problem. As far as I'm concerned, they got what they deserved. I sure as hell don't feel sorry for any of them.

what about spyware that accompanies some websites? that kind of software does so many underhanded things to get you to click yes that they might as well just not concern themselves with people clicking yes, at all - they might as well just have it install automatically. since they don't (in some cases), i'm left to speculate that perhapes there's some law that says that people must agree to installing software. so could a law to modify EULA's as i proposed eliminate those kinds of problems? i mean, if you're following one law, why not follow another? maybe? i dunno, heh :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:45 am

Actually, there are sites that automatically install spyware without a dialog box popping up. They try to get away with it by saying that since you voluntarly visited their site, you volunteer to have them put their 'program' onto your computer, much like how you give them the right to put text, images, cookies and the like on your computer.

iwon dot com (not providing a link) is a good example (I'm not sure if they do that anymore, I think the proper authorities got onto them).

They do it buy using commands in Microsoft's oh so wonderful ActiveX controls, which of course means it only affects you if you use IE.

Then again, 99.9% of all spyware only affects you if you use IE.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Return to Twilight Zone