crybaby award

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Roadkill » Mon May 17, 2004 8:19 pm

chatombre -- a team is a group that works together to achieve a goal. That is true if everyone carries their weight, but sports teams are at the competitive level -- they don't have the time or want to waste their effort trying to correct a problem child. If someone becomes a problem and starts crippling the team because they are the problem, then they should be cut loose. But many schools and coaches do not support a "cut", and choose to try to take up the slack and help them try to get better, simply because it is more politically correct. But i don't support people who cripple the team.

"all he did was whine" was all he said, and it was said after he said "he begged to be in the games", which to me sounds like he was saying all he did was begged and whine (during the game). This probably annoyed the coach and team, and this was his little payback. I don't have a problem with that.

Number 2, he was handed that reward, and even if he doesn't like it, he has to accept it. I know this character, i've had 2 or 3 try to work with our troop and we've had to kick some spoiling parents in line, and we had to kick 1 out because he was too damn annoying. We had a semi type in wrestling, and of course he was abused by the athletic wrestling team. So it was even.

Generally, i don't know why everyone is saying "this is wrong", because life simply aint fair, and if you give crap, your gunna get crap, and if you do get crap, you gotta learn to remedy its flavor, or simply swallow it quickly.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon May 17, 2004 11:49 pm

This probably annoyed the coach and team, and this was his little payback.

part of the responsibilities of being a coach is to motivate people. paying kids back doesn't motivate at all. if the coaches desires for revenge are more important to him than his responsibilities as a coach, then he has no business as a coach.

Generally, i don't know why everyone is saying "this is wrong", because life simply aint fair, and if you give crap, your gunna get crap, and if you do get crap, you gotta learn to remedy its flavor, or simply swallow it quickly.

sure. however, the COACH isn't the one who should be giving the "crap" of life. irregardless of that, you're right. you give crap, you get crap. the coach gave crap, and now he's getting crap. i don't see the problem.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby shahmask » Tue May 18, 2004 12:19 am

simply because it is more politically correct.
and exactly how politically correct is it to give a crybaby award to a teammate in front of a whole team at a banquet?
If someone becomes a problem and starts crippling the team because they are the problem, then they should be cut loose...But i don't support people who cripple the team.
funny how unreceptive u were to this when i was laying scenarios in the megafrost threads.
and this was his little payback
a coach is not there for payback!!! do u not understand this? he is not a high school student. he is a profesional, an employee, and a representative of the school and school district. these people, unless it is a religious or private school without accountability, are not supposed to give payback to 13 year old kids. it's the same reason a math or science teacher can't give a bad grade as payback.
Number 2....
i don't understand this paragraph.

one other thing, are u completely incapbable of seeing how wrong it was of them to do this? i don't understand how u can't see that it was wrong. u seem more childlike and immature every few months. btw, it is completely wrong of me to say this about u, though u may not be offended. but u seem to not have any problem telling people such things yourself.[/u]
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby Roadkill » Tue May 18, 2004 8:32 pm

I dunno where th emeafrost threads are and i don't really know. My opinions and beliefs are rock solid only for a moment, they often change as time goes by. Its irritating to find "that's not what you said 3 months ago" things pop up in my face, but i stand by what i say now. And the fact that I am more resolute in my beliefs and more realistic makes me mature, but tats open for debate.

And what i said was it was more politically correct to coach the JV or talk to them and try ot work out their problems, not politically correct for the crybaby award. It was a little joke that was supposed to try to change the kid for the better, and now look what's happened, he's attracted the media and their will probably be a lawsuit now.

And i fail to see how a bad grade can be compared to an award. A grade is realistic assesment of what you know, which perhaps you may have earned, but for people like myself, its just an assesment. An award you HAVE to earn. And i wil say it nice he actually won an award.

I agree it isn't motivating, but it certainly felt good, and in the long run would not hurt the kid. unfortunately the short run is what got out of hand.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue May 18, 2004 9:02 pm

It was a little joke that was supposed to try to change the kid for the better

how exactly does a joke change someone's life at all, be that change good or bad?

And i wil say it nice he actually won an award.

i'm sure the kid who got the award would disagree.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Tue May 18, 2004 9:36 pm

how exactly does a joke change someone's life at all, be that change good or bad?

Not that I necessarily agree with Surprise, but jokes, specifically Satire, can be excellent agents for social change.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue May 18, 2004 10:06 pm

Not that I necessarily agree with Surprise, but jokes, specifically Satire, can be excellent agents for social change.

i guess a more fundamental question is... does satire (among other types of jokes) actually effect, or does it simply reflect?

although that said, social change and personal change are kinda different things.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Tue May 18, 2004 11:13 pm

Satire provides people a different way to look at a situation and, perhaps, realize things and/or analyze things they wouldn't normally consider.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone