weather control

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

weather control

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:41 pm

There is some speculation that we will be able to control the weather within the next few decades. however, even if we can, should we?

i mean, we cut down entire forests to suite our needs, but then, some time later, we find that doing so has endangered lots of species, and overall, has caused a lot of harm, in general. i would think this would do the same thing. we adjust the weather to fit our needs, and we really mess up everything that is suited to that particular weather pattern already. so i can see environmentals calling foul on this one...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:19 am

It's odd, weird, and neat. Personally, If we're going to attempt to control the weather at all it should be to limit those weather patterns that cause incredible damage...hurricanes, tornados, hail, excessive snow (aka blizzards or something). It could be possible that species need these things to completely wipe out the area, though. :\
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:26 am

i think that's a definitive possibility - i remember once reading about how forest fires are actually required in some eco systems - some seeds, iirc, have a weird sorta cassing that protects them from the heat of the fire. so the fire clears away the old trees that might steel nutrients from the new ones, while the seeds survive, or it might be that the fire removes the extra layer of protection so that the seeds can finally grow? i haven't read anything about it in a long time, heh. anyways, by that same token, i think it is a definitive possibility that even extreme weather is required by some ecosystems.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:45 am

there would be no point if we could control weather. Hurricanes just out on the ocean? i mean, some countries could develop without so many hurricanes (that may or may not be a good thing) and hurricanes are just dang cool. Same with tornadoes. Horrible? oh well, its part of nature.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:18 pm

I kinda mixed when it comes to that subject. But I mainly feel that some weather control would be nice to make sure that it doesnt get outta hand but if you dont like hot or cold, dont go outside.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Nyufrost » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:37 pm

The only thing I can see that might be useful about it would be to provide needed rain during extended periods of drought where crops are unable to grow and the food supply is in danger.

I don't think it should be controlled for "personal comfort" reasons.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Return to Twilight Zone