Time Travel

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Dracofrost » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:24 am

Yes, but nuclear fusion isn't the subject of this thread. If you would like to discuss it, feel free to start your own thread about it. Also feel free to ask any questions about time travel which may confuse you, as this is the thread to discuss time travel within.

Me though, I don't need constant acceleration, just a good ol' bussard ramjet and some cryogenic units. Though I'd probably prefer just to head to the core of this galaxy instead of leaving for another. Lots of engineering problems even for that though, and it's considerably simpler than most other means of time dilated travel. (felt like I should at least make some comment that was sortof ontopic, too.)
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Real_Pochacco » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:58 pm

Whoops you're the admin. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Real_Pochacco on Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want to be one of the non-conformists, all you have to do is dress just like us and listen to same music we do."

"And what happens when you repress something? It comes back all crazy and pissed off."
Real_Pochacco
Recruit

Location: The Secret Place You'll Never Find Me (AKA San Carlos, CA)

Postby shahmask » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:27 am

the vulcan science directorate has determined that time travel is impossible.

however, t'pol's trip to 20th century detroit has made her rethink that.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby Humigotchi » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:06 pm

shahmask wrote:the vulcan science directorate has determined that time travel is impossible.

however, t'pol's trip to 20th century detroit has made her rethink that.

The "Vulcan Science Directorate" hasn't even tested the correct physics to determine that.
Everything is a theory, and most likely, we will never find out the answers to these theories, unless we do test them ourselves.
See, no one can make that assumption, because even though they may make numerous tests, these tests have not accurately proven the fact that time travel is impossible.
Our assumptions are making time travel resemble an innacurate paradox.
But the matter of fact is, we do not know, this is just a theory, and I wanted to discuss it.

On the other hand, we have made things travel the speed of light, so if we ever conquered the uses of it, we may direct an object going this speed into a wormhole going just fast enough to go to 2 minutes earlier, the object would then become part of the time placement of 2 minutes earlier, saying the time was 10: 24, we send it to 10:22.

The problem here is that we have numerous hints at the existence of wormholes, although they are not nearly fact.
So even though we think wormholes may exist, yet again we are trapped in the endless void of confusion of theories we have not tested yet.
Think about how astronomical the reaction would be if we sent something as small as a pebble back into time as little as 5 seconds before.

You cannot say time travel is impossible when we do not know, just like you cannot say if pi has an end already, because we are given fact pi is an endless irrational number because we just keep going in circles.
So if you say time travel is impossible, you are not right or wrong, you have an opinion, but it is just that, an opinion, and until we prove time travel possible or impossible, we will not know,
Humigotchi
Traveler

Postby Murrian » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:40 am

How would you travel back in time? Surely if you went back in time you would be altering that timeframe, therefore changing what was and shaping what will become. If time travel (not the type currently being discussed, more leaps backwards through time) was to be proved wouldn't it destroy all the illusion of freewill man (and women) has?
For example:
You send a pebble two minutes back in time (and space, otherwise it will re-matieralize exactly where the current pebble is and therefore you wouldn't notice :p ). So you tansfer your pebble from 1:24am to 1:22am OR at 1:22am your working on your time travel project and your pebble appears - you now know that your test is going to succeed and your going to send an object backwards thorugh time (for those who want a mecahnics explanation on how this is accomplished we'll say we managed to attach it to tacheons) - so what do you do? Do you push the button to see if your time device works or do you not? Although you know you can't as the pebble form the future is there to prove you pressed the button. If you decided not to push the button would it disappear?
Moving away from timetravel a little - doesn't this imply that you have no freewill? That all you are is a set of condition responces (yeah i've programmed AI's) and that you will react a specific way within a specific set of parameters due to your past experiances?
I think therefore i am - least, i think i think, therefore i think i am...i think.
From that wouldn't it be possible if we knew the physical state of everything in the universe at one given moment - how everybody "thinks" (or would react in the situations there in for a better way of putting it) then we should be ale to move the timeline forward and "see" the future - ne pas?
To round of with a total x-files nonsense theory - maybe the above is how clairvoyants like Nostrodamus were able to see the future, if he was more "aware" of his surroundings (bearing in mind ol' nostro was a know fruit cake in his time) and was psychicly linked to the earth, gia and the universe then he would be able to "see" whats coming.
From all that wouldn't it be lodgical to conclude that time does not exist?
Murrian
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:54 am

To round of with a total x-files nonsense theory - maybe the above is how clairvoyants like Nostrodamus were able to see the future, if he was more "aware" of his surroundings (bearing in mind ol' nostro was a know fruit cake in his time) and was psychicly linked to the earth, gia and the universe then he would be able to "see" whats coming.

to take the scully approach, hehe, i think that nostrodamus's power was in vague prediciations that could be losely applied to anything, and in predictions written after the fact. indeed, i believe the "visions" of biblical prophets are, in reality, memories - memories of events that took place before they wrote their alleged prophecies. in this way, they're actually not prophecies.

anyways, you might find this thread interesting:

http://www.frostjedi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8

iirc, it discusses some of hte points you made in your post :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby shahmask » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:47 am

if u could get in touch with daniels, he could help you in your theories. spock is also pretty good at this stuff too.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone