billing the wrongly convicted?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

billing the wrongly convicted?

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:29 pm

being imprisoned of a crime you didn't commit is bad enough. being billed for wrongful imprisonment is even worse, and that's just what some english politician is trying to do. his rationale is that you shouldn't have been provided with free room and board, pretty much, by the state, if you were innocent.

you can read about it here:

http://www.sundayherald.com/40592

some points that the article doesn't mention... while in your in prison, you not only can't go where you want, etc, but you aren't earning money through a job.

also, it seems to me that such activities would actually *inspire* criminal activity. i mean, if you're going to be burned at the stake for being innocent even more than criminals are for being criminals, what reason don't you have for committing a crime? indeed - to me, it sounds to me like one would have *good* reason to committ a crime, at that point.

of course, i guess this is the world we live in... you copy a song, and you're liable for hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in damages, whereas if you steal a cd, you're only liable for the cost of that cd. if you are correctly convicted, you get prison time, whereas if you're wrongfully convicted, you get both prison time and a big fat bill, afterwards.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:01 pm

Of course, they are trying to bill them because the wrongly convicted won a large cash settlement from the prison system for the mistak (IIRC). Doesn't make it right, but they are just trying to claw back some money.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:16 pm

o.O gah...
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone