teacher shows "the passion" to sixth grade class

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

teacher shows "the passion" to sixth grade class

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:35 am

showing "the passion of the christ" in school isn't exactly a bright idea on a number of levels, yet a teacher did it, as described here:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/03/08 ... index.html

first, and as the news articles touch upon, i don't know of any ways to get a full length movie thats still in the theaters, without resorting to something illegal.

second, the article says that the teacher showed it because he was trying to connect historical events. this makes one wonder... what historical events was he trying to make kids connect to that required him showing a movie about pretty much nothing other than a crucifixition? it sounds to me like he was going a little too much into depth on a subject which might have been appropriate for him not to even mention.

all in all, i think it was stupid, and i think the teacher should be fired. indeed - i further believe that people like this are whom the MPAA / RIAA should be going after - not small time pirates.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Megafrost » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:42 pm

The thing about this that seems to be the stupidest to me is...why the hell did the teacher think it was okay to show an R-rated movie to a bunch of 11/12 year olds without their parents consent?
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:56 pm

Something I wonder but have been unable to locate on google...is the reported historical accuracy of The Passion of Christ purely based upon the bible or is there other evidence that something like this event happened at that time?
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby tsian » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:33 am

Gibson has drawn his inspiration from the bible and so, in some elements (specifically, if i recall correctly, the depiction of paunchus (sp?... the Roman..) historians have found it at least somewhat lacking.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Rao » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:51 am

Made a whole lotta money though, i think that was the main goal. A devout Christian wouldnt resist to come see a modern dipiction of the dead of their savior. From a film major, it was good in all aspects. Action and directing.
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:02 am

When I read the title, I thought it was a girl who flashed them. Heh. Then I saw what you meant.

I heard about it on the daily show. Its weird, really.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Real_Pochacco » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:01 am

Yeah I have to agree with you that this is wrong on so many levels.

It's a religious movie at school? Bad.

It's a violent, rated R movie at school? That never is allowed.

It's a bootleg copy of a movie? Come on guys.

Why do I feel that copying movies is worse than copying music?

Dunno. I'm still kind of forming my opinon on that one.
"If you want to be one of the non-conformists, all you have to do is dress just like us and listen to same music we do."

"And what happens when you repress something? It comes back all crazy and pissed off."
Real_Pochacco
Recruit

Location: The Secret Place You'll Never Find Me (AKA San Carlos, CA)

Return to Twilight Zone