North Korea

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

North Korea

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:34 pm

Has anyone been following this at all?

It's all rather startling, I think. :shock

It's like they came out of nowhere and suddenly are trying to declare war on us! Even more shocking is that they have the 3rd largest army in the world! I just couldn't believe it when I heard that. If we couldn't even whip a wimpy country like Afghanistan then I think one with a huge army like North Korea could do us some real damage!

Another scary thing is that while the Middle Eastern countries can't really attack us because we are out of range to their weapons, we are within range for a nuclear attack by North Korea! That is SO scary!

And WHY are they being so hostile???? It seems to me as we have been pretty friendly to them until we just learned they were breaking some nuclear arms agreement they supposedly had with us.

Anyone else have any thoughts about the North Korea situation?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:52 pm

nothing that you haven't already said...it's startling and kinda scary!
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:50 am

i don't follow the news all that much, myself, but yeah... i think it is really alarming... i read, recently that they violated the dmz, as well.
i haven't seen all of pearl habor, but the part almost *immediatly* before the japanese attack the base has someone saying that the planes look like japanese planes, to which someone replies... "i didn't even know the japs were sore at us!"
that's sorta what this is like, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:33 pm

Yikes that is something to worry about. But hey we have far more firepower than they do. They might be able to destroy a few cities but we could destroy their entire nation.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:37 pm

One consideration would be that their entire military force would be focused on us while much of ours is tied up in the Middle East. ;)
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:57 pm

as for us having more military power than they do... we do... we really do..
they may have eight nuclear bombs (or perhapes just dirty bombs), but we have tens of thousands of nuclear bombs, heh.
of course, the thing is... i don't think north korea really has as much of an appreciation for their destructive power as we do. they're much more likely to use them, probably. and even if they nuked us, i'm not sure we'd nuke them back - i mean, we're trying to get rid of nuclear bombs for crying out loud!
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby BluKing » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:45 pm

Well they have a pathetic Air Force, sure they have one of the largest standing armies...but that's mostly ground troops
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nuxius » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:16 pm

And WHY are they being so hostile???? It seems to me as we have been pretty friendly to them until we just learned they were breaking some nuclear arms agreement they supposedly had with us.
You can thank Bushwacker for most of that.

North Korea was all fine and dandy, until Bush put them in "The Axis of Evil", then Pyongyang starting going all crazy again and was acting like his old self.

I think they're taking a "If you're going to call us evil, then we'll be evil." attitude right now.

Here's a Reuters article about the whole N. Korea deal from today:

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?ty ... ID=2019394
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:39 am

i don't understand that whole axis of evil thing... iirc, he also said iran was in the axis of evil... i've never, in my life, heard of iran doing a bad thing - maybe they were bad back in 1980 with the whole shaw of iran thing, but that was 20+ years ago...

and like nyufrost and noxious said, north korea wasn't so bad until the whole axis of evil thing...

what was the point of even creating such a thing? might as well just arbitrarly through in england and canada, too, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:25 am

I'm not sure what it was so I won't speculate but Bill Clinton was in the news the other day saying something about the North Koreans also threatening to back out of the global Nuclear Peace Treaty back when he was president so I don't think this can be blamed on George Bush entirely. ;)
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:13 pm

Nah Bush cant be blamed. North Korea was planning on being hostile for a long time. They were just waiting for Bush to say something bad about them then work up a frenzy. They are trying to control the polls over here (by making Bush seem like a war-monger) because they want a democrat to be president, because democrats are less likely to take military action and instead make up some bogus treaty that the North Koreans can abuse.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby BluKing » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:29 pm

Evlfrost wrote:Nah Bush cant be blamed. North Korea was planning on being hostile for a long time. They were just waiting for Bush to say something bad about them then work up a frenzy. They are trying to control the polls over here (by making Bush seem like a war-monger) because they want a democrat to be president, because democrats are less likely to take military action and instead make up some bogus treaty that the North Koreans can abuse.

LOL...that's just all speculation
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:08 pm

BluKing, the North Koreans did not just now start breaking the Nuclear Peace Treaty ... they have been building nuclear bombs on the sly for years now. It was just now discovered.

From reading a little more on the subject, it seems that the Clinton administration --when they learned the North Koreans were going nuclear-- negotiated a peace treaty and then just kind of looked the other way. So, the Bush administration finds out the Koreans have been breaking the treaty all this time and makes efforts to control the situation ... which is indeed a threat to not only the USA but the world.

The North Koreans have reacted by threatening to declare war.

So ... how is Evlfrost's post so far off base?
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby BluKing » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:45 pm

NyuFrost, Evilfrost said "North Korea was planning on being hostile for a long time. They were just waiting for Bush to say something bad about them then work up a frenzy." How exactly did he stumble upon this peice of information?

That's speculation.

Also...making the assumption that a liberal president/administraition would not react that way if they discovered a member of a treaty not holding up their bargain is also speculation. Clinton waged war against Iraq during his administration and took the breaking of a Gulf War related treaty very seriously.
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:55 am

Clinton wimped out on most everything. ;)

The treaty was in place for years and the North Koreans had been breaking it for years. So, why break the treaty and make nuclear weapons on the sly except for hostile purposes? ;)

I think Evlfrost has made quite a wise pontification! :p
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Next

Return to Twilight Zone