contagiousness

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

contagiousness

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:02 pm

say person A is sick. he thinks, and indeed, he tells people he has the flu. then, person B, who knows person A, gets sick. at this point, person B might well assume he had the flu, and indeed, might tell people so, but... that doesn't mean he had the flu. in fact, that doesn't even mean he necessarily got his "sickness" from person A.

this sorta begs the question... which is more contagious - the virus, or the idea that one has the virus?

i mean, people can pretty much assume, whether they have that particular virus, or not, that they do have it, and in doing so, other people may think they have it. so, the idea can kinda spread, too.

watcha think?

also, this idea is kinda similar to the idea of memes. well, first, let me explain what selfish genes are supposed to be. the idea of the selfish gene is that genes are sorta parasites and they concerned mostly about their own self interests. in this self-concern, they have learned to coorperate, sorta, even though they're still primarily focussed with their own survival, and that this coorperation has led to life. memes are kinda an extension of this. memes are ideas that are sorta concerned mostly abou their own self-interests. they to propogate themselves just as selfish genes are supposed to do, and... anyways, that's pretty much the gist of it.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:56 am

Right now, i have to go with the flu, because i really am sick :bah
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Javafrost » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:44 am

Hmmm. I think I'd guess ideas are more contagious than viruses.
"Endeavor to persevere." -- Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josey Wales
Javafrost
Recruit

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:34 pm

Well, that would really depend upon how obvious the symptoms of said disease were, wouldn't it? Now, say, several diseases with similar effects, but that don't spread too much themselves, but with just all of them going on at the same time... that could be taken for all being the same thing. On the other hand, some disease that didn't take effect until weeks or months after it had infected it's victim (giving it ample time to spread before it became obvious), would spread rather quicker than the mere idea of it, simply because it would get a headstart over the idea.

I think...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Neerowolf » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:02 pm

Again, I'm sick, and the idea of being sick is running through my school, alot of kids have been out. In my english class, a whole row was out one day. I think they're both equally contagious because even though the idea travels faster, it doesn't have half the effect of the actual disease. I know when I hear that theres a sickness in school, I just shrug and walk away, but thats just me.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone