Human Architects

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Human Architects

Postby Roadkill » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:07 pm

Kinda weird. People dont think we should study nuclear physics, or genetics, or weather control methods. They are afraid. Perhaps that plutonium might set off a nuclear reaction in one of those expirments. What if we accidentally create a creature so horrible it takes over the earth? What would we do if we could just through sunami after sunami at our enemies, or if terrorists put tornadoes in chicago?

How far should we actually go in our studies? Where is the stopping point. Obviously, we aren't supposed to be able to play god, because that would mean we defy God, who guides our actions, and then he would have to kill us. We can't go around making suns and harvesting planets. we shouldn't know how to make earthquakes.

Why not?

It's kind of funny how a 2 word innocent question can stop a person in his tracks. "...because it will create war, and that is bad" Tell the cancer patients who lived because of radiology that we should have never messed with radiation, and killed the japanese. "...because the world will become overpopulated" THat is true, but evolution will find a way to cull the herd. Sympathy, putting ourselves in another mans shoes, prevents us from slaughter -- thus far. But all in all, both arguements are unimportant. chaos and order always feud (for the most part) equally.

Architects. That is what we are, right now. We study what is already built, and find ways to mimick it, or build it better. God is an architect, and so are we. They tell us god is in every human. They soon included animals, and all living organisms. But none of that is true. God is Humankind, who in turn are architects. The animals and other life forms are only experiments conducted in the test tube next to us, but we are the only success. We let them live and breed on their own, until our own expirments start to encompass them.

Technology gives us power, they say. THat is true, and technology is only our tool. Power in the wrong hands can bring injustice, and danger. Perhaps. their will always be those few greedy souls, but what can they do with that power? Use it, and let us observe the results. It is unfortunate if he cuts back a few expirements here and their, but sacrafices must be made so we can see it all in perspective again.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby tsian » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:12 pm

Things which can theoretically lead to the end of life on this planet probably should not be played with.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Roadkill » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:15 pm

yet we will. We pretty much are gods. Or getting there. I dont think we will predict the future or develop tiem travel anytime in the near milleniums, but we are to the point o messiing with stuff, see where i leads to. GOd doesn't know the future either, but he is still god.

There are always safeguards. Always septics. Even should we overlook something, it will be caught on quickly. I do not fear that wich destroys.
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby tsian » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:12 am

We pretty much are gods. Or getting there

One scientist making the wrong move in a Nuclear plant or in a GE food lab could easily kill us all. We are not gods.

GOd doesn't know the future either, but he is still god

If god is omniscient / all knowing, then, in fact, he does :p
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Roadkill » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:55 am

Okay, Zues didnt know the future, but he was still the god of gods. so there. :p

He would have to make multiple wrong moves in a nuclear plant, because there are so many fail safes (in American ones, anyway). Skepticism and fear keeps many things in check.
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:01 am

Okay, Zues didnt know the future, but he was still the god of gods. so there.

not all gods are the same. the christian God (note the capitlization) is all powerful, all seeing, and all knowing. the christian god, by definition, *does* know the future. zeus is *not* the christian god, however. so, before you start defining god, it might benefit you to clarify which god you are attempting to define.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:05 am

all gods
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Phoenix » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:26 pm

Perhaps it just me but god is a relative thing. To someone using stone tools we are gods, to someone harvesting planets we are primitives. Sometimes i almost consider the christian god a simply abstraction. Nothing more then an easy receptile for all that is here and all that isn't etc etc.

I think we should continue onward but be weary considering the lessons we have learned in the past. The essential problem is that at this point and pehraps always knowledge is gained through mistakes. The only real question is how far do we want to go, where should we draw the line. We have already began manipulating geneticly a whole variety of things. Some might say its already to late to put the cork back on that bottle...
The Revolution will not be televised
Phoenix
Traveler

Return to Twilight Zone