human cloneing?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby BluKing » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:45 am

it may just mean that you've grown rather apathetic to it.

Well it's really a moral issue...no facts can be brought in that will make it ok or not ok. These kind of moral issues are purely opinion based your opinion about it is influenced by how you were brought up and what morals you have accumulated throughout your life.
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Evlfrost » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:12 am

BluKing wrote:This is where i get a bit angered...you are quick to say it's wrong too kill a fetus, but it's ok to kill animals? To me it's a bit hyprocitical...

There is a BIG differnce between humans and animals that I am not going to go into because this thread is about cloning.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby BluKing » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:04 am

Well i don't think there is a difference between a fetus and a full grown cow or deer. This issue here is moral opposition to cloning, your take on the difference between humans(which are animals) and other animals could very well bring an insite to how you approach this topic
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:59 am

Like evl pointed out, it's a discussion about human cloning; it's not about cattle slaughter or deer hunting. I don't think ones views on those topics really relate to human cloning.

Can anyone name any GOOD reason for cloning people? So far, we have that same sex couples can now have a gene spliced baby together thanks to cloning.

I think the purpose of sexual attraction is select a mate for reproduction. I think that if two men or two women were meant to "mate" then they would have been made asexual like snails. Therefore, I do not think it is right to use cloning as a means for producing children for homosexual couples.

I don't think it's right to use it for heterosexual couples either. You may be attracted to one another but not able to produce children together for whatever reason. So what? If you can't then it wasn't meant to be, no? Maybe there is an excellent reason you cannot be a parent even if it isn't overt.

So, I can't really think of any good reasons to clone people. I think people once thought of it as "another them" but the clone is its own person and it not going to carry on in your footsteps after you die.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby BluKing » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:18 am

the whole point is to cure disease...cloning humans is hardly a priority. They can clone body parts and do tests and such. Curing diseases is the main reason for it...who knows, it might save us from a massive plague someday. If you can chose a genetically altered embrio made in a lab over your life or perhaps the life a relative or loved one, then i suppose that's your choice. I personally will not take that route
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:44 am

Perhaps you have not been following the issue in the news of the French company that is claiming the recent success with human cloning. It is NOT about curing disease. They are charging $220,000 for anyone who wants to be cloned. I believe I posted this somewhere back on page one of this thread.

The cloning of animals done by the US was supposed to be about curing disease. What this French company is doing is about selling human life to those who can afford it. ;)
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:55 am

I think the purpose of sexual attraction is select a mate for reproduction. I think that if two men or two women were meant to "mate" then they would have been made asexual like snails. Therefore, I do not think it is right to use cloning as a means for producing children for homosexual couples.

plus, homosexual couples can just adopt - i mean, there are plenty of kids that need adoption - why should they suffer, when test tube babies woudln't?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:51 pm

Well homosexuals being able to adopt is a highly debated thing and they cant in all states. But I agree with Nyu, there is no reason to clone humans.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby BluKing » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:38 pm

Nyufrost wrote:Perhaps you have not been following the issue in the news of the French company that is claiming the recent success with human cloning. It is NOT about curing disease. They are charging $220,000 for anyone who wants to be cloned. I believe I posted this somewhere back on page one of this thread.

The cloning of animals done by the US was supposed to be about curing disease. What this French company is doing is about selling human life to those who can afford it. ;)

But it's laws against human cloning that will get in the way of curing diseases. There may be no use for it in terms of replicating a human as a means of obtaining a child or loved one, but it does have uses.
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Evlfrost » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:20 pm

Do they have a way of obtaining stem cells from a fetus without killing it?

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone