human cloneing?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

human cloneing?

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:13 am

since apparently a group is claiming to have performed the first human clone (Which you can read about here), i guess a discussion about it is in order!

so what do you think about it?

i'm sorta divided. i think cloned kids should be treated *as* kids. if they're not being treated right, then child custody should take them away from the company that cloned them, or the family, or whatever. they should be able to vote, and do anything that normal people should do, imho. i don't think companies would be the best people to raise kids, either. so i don't think they should do it for themselves. but what about families who have lost a kid? what if they wanted to clone the kid they lost? should they be able to?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:05 am

I'm not entirely sure on the subject, but I know one thing for sure: even if they are clones, they are still human beings, and should be treated as such. And if you lose a child, well, I dunno. Do you really want the same child, or do you want a different one? Or are you not even fit to be a parent cause you lost one already? These things I do not know...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:17 am

not all parents who lose children are bad children ;-)
for example, the kids at columbine, in the world trade center, kids who died have rare diseases that were found out about too late, etc.
although i'm not sure if a parent who lost a kid should get the same one, all the same... i guess that would depend on the parent.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:14 am

I'm sorry, but cloning a kid to replace a lost one is a bit like getting a new puppy when your dog dies. Doesn't that more or less devalue human life?

According to the French organization Cloneaid, there are something like 2000 people on their waiting list to have themself or a loved one cloned at a price of $200,000 each.

Hmmm .... so, you can have a new loved one made for $200k yet you can sue for millions if they are killed on the job? What? :?

Maybe lawmakers can look at this as a way to put a value on human life to end exhorbitant lawsuit claims when someone suffers a wrongful death! I mean, why should death benefits exceed the cost of making a new person?

And, what about murder? Should there still be such tough penalties for murdering someone when their family can just have them remade?

I think the best use for clones would be from a military standpoint! I don't want any of the guys I know IRL or online to be drafted and sent off to war and no one else wants that for people they know, either. However, an army of clones would be perfect! They could just clone people who were the toughest and best soldiers and the only life they would ever know would be military camps and wars and such.

Seems pretty creepy, no? *shudders*
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:25 am

Maybe lawmakers can look at this as a way to put a value on human life to end exhorbitant lawsuit claims when someone suffers a wrongful death! I mean, why should death benefits exceed the cost of making a new person?

And, what about murder? Should there still be such tough penalties for murdering someone when their family can just have them remade?

well... if you clone a forty year old, it'll take that clone forty years to catch up to you, so... really, i don't understand the whole point of clones... unless you clone an infant, and raise them up identically. and experiences do contribute, atleast partially, to who we are... pavlovian condition is proof of this - if you show a baby a white bunny, and make a loud noise every time you show the baby the white bunny, then eventually, the baby will associate loud noises with white bunnies.

I think the best use for clones would be from a military standpoint! I don't want any of the guys I know IRL or online to be drafted and sent off to war and no one else wants that for people they know, either. However, an army of clones would be perfect! They could just clone people who were the toughest and best soldiers and the only life they would ever know would be military camps and wars and such.

i think half of being a good soldier is your mindset. if you don't want to expend lots of energy, you won't, even though you may have plenty to expend.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby BluKing » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:23 am

The whole process of cloning isn't all that different from the way women are impregnated in sperm banks, the moral argument isn't really enough too stop cloning or it's progression. Too me, it's just like having a test tube kid or something. I really don't see what the hoop-lah is all about
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:56 am

There is quite a difference! :shock

1. A woman can only be impregnated if fertile, be it via normal sex, sperm bank donations or invitro fertilization.

2. An infertile woman cannot have children no matter what

3. A couple in their 50's who loses a son or daughter cannot just "have another one" to replace him or her

Yet, with cloning, all these unnatural things would be possible.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby BluKing » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:05 pm

It's hardly replacing a person....if your so shallow as to think having anothing kid who looks the same is gonna heal some emotional wounds then you're kid must not be all that smart to begin with, diamond in the rough or not, and probably not worth the effort of cloning
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:37 am

Perhaps .... but, in their grief of losing a child, many young couples will try to have another. I used an older couple as an example because it would not be possible for them. ;)
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby BluKing » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:32 am

But having kid that looks the same might even make the emotional wounds worse. And who cares if 2 old people want a baby? is that really so wrong?
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:36 am

I think you are missing my point! O.o

I am saying it is physically not possible for the older couple to have a baby once the female partner goes through menopause!
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby BluKing » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:38 am

that's not true....they can just clone a kid, duh :lol
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:41 am

*pokes BluKing with a sharp stick* :p
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby BluKing » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:45 am

all they have to do is impliment the 6th day law :p
BluKing
Townfolk

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:48 am

What law is that?
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Next

Return to Twilight Zone