Masses, intelligence, and schooling

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Masses, intelligence, and schooling

Postby Roadkill » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:31 pm

might turn itno a big long rant, and because of that, may be unfinished. If that is the case, do your best

I don't know my IQ, nor do i think it matters. Yet it is rather obvious that i "think on a different level" than everyone else. It doesnt mean im smarter, just that im wired differently and come to conclusions in a different way, but somehoe i keep thinking of things and using my brain more often. perhaps others are as smart as i, but they keep refusing to use their brain basing this philosophy on what they see around them, and the laziness that is made by easy satisfaction. That would mean that there is a problem in their upbringing, or school has failed them. But then when did schools ever suceed. To quote Mark Twain: "God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards." Who decides what ther children are taught in school? Not just the school boards, but the masses.

All the f***ing masses that get in your way. people who should have little influence in the world but somehow do because of democratic values. Compromises, compromises, comprimises. i now think ancient civilizations had better education systems than we do today.

Everyone believes in god, or so i was told or led to percieve, but EVERY single intelligent person i have met dont find god very important, dont see a need to worship him, dont see a need to believe in him, but instead will question them. Not in the open, but you can see it lurking within.

Its funny, we make fun of our judicial system, but with all the minds in our society today, we have not come up with a way to make it work, or even bothered.

All that matters with out kids is that they get an education. It doesn'tmatter what in, it just matters they get a school education. No one wants to homeschool their kid, because it isnt trusted by employers and colleges as well, and you have to get your lazy ass out of the chair. their's so many inbred people around, it gets hard to remember to laugh.

It's not humanity that is killing us, it is the mass.

The system programmed into us by nature to breed and breed and overbreed, to compensate for the now almost nonexistant checks of disease and death. Masses.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:45 am

Actually, the american (and thus, canadian) school system was designed SPECIFICALLY to provide obedient workers to a system that did not require any ingeniuity or creative thought.
It succeeds admirably, leaving us with masses of people who will believe anything written in a textbook, or told to them by an 'authority' figure.

And as bad as it may sound, i DO consider myself smarter than the obedient masses.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:08 am

I have to agree with ugu on his analysis on the american school system. Most of america is an ignorant mass waiting to be indoctronated by the media. The school system makes them that way. I like to belive that Im not as ignorant as your average american :)
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby tsian » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:25 am

So, the real question is: Is this a bad thing?
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:27 am

I'd say it is...
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby tsian » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:38 am

Why?
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:08 am

Well, I belive that people shouldn't always just belive what they're told, I don't care if it's a textbook or what. I don't think of masses of people who don't think for themselves as being good. I also think that it's important to point out that individuals can be intelligent, but people are, in very large groups, stupid.
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:33 am

I like to belive that Im not as ignorant as your average american

i wonder if the average american thinks the same thing, hehe :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Phoenix » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:01 am

Its not intelliegence, its training or what one might call brain washing. I myself don't believe anyone is inferior or superior to anyone else. The only difference is how we were raised. Children are extremely impressionable, i know that i can look back on many childhood events and see characteristics present in my current behavior. I might not always be completely objective or correct in percieving all the various correlations of those events to the present time. But i can see a link, and this leads me to believe that its not intelligence but how we are lead along through our formative years. The problem is that no one can say for sure how to utlize our brains to maxize(sp) them for later use. We have no set pattern of learning or discovery that will allow people to break through(ie use a different path) the cookie cutter molds handed out in early childhood. I suppose one could say allow more creative efforts or some such but in what way. How exactly would you balance between more creativety and instilling movtivation. Most people work off of something say money, or better job(ie more money), or love etc. But if people are allowed to think indenpendently it means they find their own motivation. I myself don't see how too many would choose more money as an option considering that it means more work, more schooling or some such other thing(ie would materialism still be so attractive?). On top of that the world has too many easy outlets for people to distract themselves from the world. If we didn't set up a straight path from child hood to adulthood it would be easier for most people to sway. I think the root of the problem lies in instilling responsebility. Not in the normal consideration but in the sense that we have to take in not only our ownselves, but those around in our desicions. Wether it is something as simple as how we use our resources ( from the largest to the smallest scale) to how we interact with others (once again from the largest to the smallest scale).

It is not that the masses are stupid, ignornat, simply that we act not even as individuals but mouth peices for what is given to us(whether that be from the government, school, or parents which is a cycle in itself). We learn that in mobs we have no mentality of our own, hence we respond according. Its how we are led through life, only in rare instances is our individuality praised and fostered.
The Revolution will not be televised
Phoenix
Traveler

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:58 pm

ChatOmbre wrote:Well, I belive that people shouldn't always just belive what they're told, I don't care if it's a textbook or what. I don't think of masses of people who don't think for themselves as being good. I also think that it's important to point out that individuals can be intelligent, but people are, in very large groups, stupid.

There was a writter named Ralph Waldo Emerson (while lived 1803-1882) who was invited to give a speech to a bunch of Scholars. To their shock, he lectured them on believing truth to be in books.

Basically, the ultimate idea was that books don't contain the truth...they're supposed to give you ideas, and you're supposed to reach the truth. Or something. Unfortunately, our current education system doesn't seem to encourage that... more like it encourages people to pretend they know and to quote from books as if they're the ultimate truth.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Roadkill » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:58 pm

curiously, i keep noticing myself only repeating what id heard without analyzing for myself. Bad habit, but i cant break it easily -- it helps me actually have a viewpoint to say on a subject, though it isnt entirely mine but paraphrased. sometimes entire paragraphs in essays are like that. Sometimes i dont have the time.

There's another interesting concept -- time. There's all sorts of ways to kill time these days, and not many seek ways to use it unless they have to. What has been put aside to chew on later gets put off later and later and then forgotten, until they time when you may need it in which case you have to use it raw.

I think you have to be a bit retarded or mentally challenged before you can be called smart. I mean, you have to have a lower power brain, but in order to keep up with everyone else you ask questions. in embarrasment or not wanting to but in ( or uncertain when or how), you answer these questions as best you can yourself. Then as y our brain builds power through this excercise, the habit stays, and intelligence comes naturally -- with doubt. Its not those who ask questions who are smart, but those who ask and answer within the same box.

i hope that maxe sence.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone