chicken

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

chicken

Postby Roadkill » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:08 pm

"What if God were an atheist?"

That just popped into my head this morning. Im too brain dead and low on time to ponder any good definition of this, but hey, have fun!
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:10 pm

If God were an atheist, he'd be just like a person that believes they don't exist.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:15 pm

what if god didn't believe he existed? that seems to be what you're asking...

one problem with that, however, is that you can't assume god doesn't believe in his own existance unless you first assume his existence. and god can't not believe in his existance no more than you can not believe in your existance. as descartes believed, you can doubt everything, save for your own existance, hence his famous statement "i think therefore i am."
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:16 pm

what if god were a devoted worshipper?
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:01 am

Then he'd be narcissist. ^_~

I'd say that there's a difference between proving to yourself that you exist and believing you don't exist.

I mean, it's the logical statement that's true no matter what to the person who thinks it...I think therefore I am...but people's beliefs don't necessarily follow logic. I think that it's possible for somebody to completely believe they don't exist.

But then again, what exactly does it mean if God is atheist? It means that God doesn't believe a god exists, in which case I would think that such a God would believe that it is not powerful enough to be a god while at the same time believing that nothing could be more powerful than it.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Return to Twilight Zone