Should The Age Limit Be Lowered For Drinking Alcohol

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Should The Age Limit Be Lowered For Drinking Alcohol

Postby lorien1 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:56 pm

What do you think? Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby tsian » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:01 pm

Hard to say.

Since alchohol has been shown to cause more damage to teenagers, probably not.

That said parents should teach responsible drinking (and, hey, if a kid has a glass of wine, big deal).
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby OmegaFrost » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:30 am

I think that the age limit is fine where it is, but this should probably be discussed in the twilight zone.

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby Phoenix » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:30 am

Why is it fine?

Most countries around the world have their age limit set at 18 or 19, with a few at 20. The united states is the only country with an age limit of 21 as far as I understand.

People don't magically grow up when they hit 18 or 21, its a presentation of culture. Something that parents, enviroment, and schooling affect as the individual grows up. If we only avoid, and ban things people don't learn about them.
The Revolution will not be televised
Phoenix
Traveler

Postby Gigafrost » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:02 am

Of course, learning about Alcohol while you're learning to drive isn't a good mix. Having the age at 21 supposedly puts a good few years behind the wheel before some person decides to drink and (stupidly) drive back.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby tsian » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:15 pm

*shrug*

In school, the kids who wanted access to alchohol got it. Some were mature with their use of it, some weren't.

So, really, as with Sex Ed, you need to teach responsibility.
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:34 pm

can you even teach responsibility? i mean, if teachers could teach their students to be responsible when it comes to homework, wouldn't they?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:00 pm

You can try. Parents must also provide support here. In the same sense, you need to show the student that responsibility has value.

Students also need to experience some form of situation where lack of responsibility effects them (in essence, this is the idea behind detention).
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Phoenix » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:13 am

Problem is the states are only making things worse. Alot are instituting limited driving at 16 or forcing people to wait till their 18. Which only gives them 3 years behind the wheel before they can drink.

But the type of education I was speaking of, is the same that tsian mentioned. We as a culture need to realize these things are here, rather then putting them out of mind to some extent. Rather then ignoring the uses and responble use of, we need to embrace and help teach these things

Personaly that type of "teaching" doesn't work, and if it does its only out of a sense of fear. Which is one of the worse ways to teach something. People need to know the facts and understand what can happen to them. Then make their own desicion on the factor. Too many times culture,society, government or some other entity attempts to play "god" by stating things as black and white when they aren't.
The Revolution will not be televised
Phoenix
Traveler

Postby lorien1 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:24 am

Hi There.I think 18 is a suitable age to legaly drink.It's the "norm" in most countries now.Tourists that can drink in their own country,can't drink in the States.Alot of 18 year olds are drinking anyway!! I THINK 18 is about right for alcohol.Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby Cloud Strife » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:56 am

absotutly not it should NOT BE LOWERED I live in canada and where I live there is more deaths by drunk drivers then anything else!!! :eep
STRESS:The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire TO CHOKE THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF SOMEONE WHO DESPERTELY DESERVES IT!
Cloud Strife
Traveler

Return to Twilight Zone