gossip

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Exalted Ugu » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:48 am

I honestly don't see what's so wrong about gossip... the truth will out, let people say whatever they like.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby tsian » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:50 am

Well, 50% of American's believe Saddam caused 9/11 thanks to gossip and rumours.... that seems to be the problem with it.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:52 am

No... NOT gossip... THAT is marketing, the deliberate spin of information by those agencies that people trust to distribute it farily and without bias. That is not gossip.

Gossip is the natural way that information spreads between people, not between organizations and people, or governments and people.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby tsian » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:53 am

IE fact interpersed with bias?
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:53 am

Absolutely. That's the natural way humans communicate.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:07 am

sure, gossip is the way humans communicate, if you use a broad enough definition of gossip (or the word intimate, as it is used in the next line). the definition, as provided by m-w.com, says that gossip is a "rumor or report of an intimate nature" (i bolded the word intimate). do humans reveal intimate details as part of their nature? is the desire for privacy but a pervision of human nature? i don't know, but that seems to be your implication, and... if it is, i see nothing "absolute" about it... i mean, personally, i see gossip as nothing more than a tiny subset of the way humans communicate.

so anyways, i don't think your point about gossip being the way humans communicate is very valid. you're previous point, about gossip being okay because it's the truth will reveal itself, anyways... well, that's certainly a valid point, but i would still disagree with it, heh. if "history" is written by the victors (which is something i would, personally, agree too), so too is the "truth". if you want evidence of that, consider evolution. that is as close to the "absolute truth" as we have gotten, thus far. atleast for the developement of species. yet, that said, for the past 200 or so years, religious dogma has prevailed. if the "absolte truth" will reveal itself, it hasn't done so yet. and, as evolution has demonstrated itself, even if it does reveal itself, there is no guarantee that it will do so in our lifetime. there is no guarantee that any truth will reveal itself in our lifetime. and at that point, even if the truth were to reveal itself, what good would it do? we might all very well be dead by then.

*randomly sorta split and moved to TZ, where frivilious posts aren't allowed*
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby chaotic century » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:41 pm

this is probably long dead but im posting anyway. have u ever played that game telephone where the first person is told a word n he tells it the next person n so on. well if u have alota people by the time that word gets back to the end its not gonna b the same some pople dont hear it right others mess it up on purpose thats kinda how gossip is
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:05 pm

good example, CC. :)
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby Rao » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:06 pm

Not only that, but also the fact a story is more exciting when more than the truth is added. How do you think mythology got to its spectacular battles and adventures. Im sure all that really did happen is not what we are told now. I feel their is nothing wrong with it, unless you are beefing the story or info to hurt someone personally, on a mental or physical level
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby chaotic century » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:11 pm

to put it this way if it will hurt somebody in anyway u shouldnt do it. n thank u chat

neero is my master

chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby Real_Pochacco » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:07 am

[quote="TerraFrost"]is the desire for privacy but a pervision of human nature?[/quote]

I don't know, but gossiping is human nature. It's that simple. It doesn't matter how old you are, gossip is just something. :MIB
"If you want to be one of the non-conformists, all you have to do is dress just like us and listen to same music we do."

"And what happens when you repress something? It comes back all crazy and pissed off."
Real_Pochacco
Recruit

Location: The Secret Place You'll Never Find Me (AKA San Carlos, CA)

Postby chaotic century » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:39 pm

it is but think of it gossip can hurt. since im guessing most of u go to school think of this.this is a true story. the guy graduates high school n leaves off for college he comes back to his old school on a holdiay he walks in n this kid asks him hey hows ur wife n kids? the guy goes excuse me? n the kid says o i heard u got ur girlfriend pregnant n had to move away. now look what happened peole just made that up was it true? no. its also rather insulting. i have a few more tales but i cant think of many right now. but that was an example of how gossip can completley altar the truth.

neero is my master

chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone