the meme meme

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

the meme meme

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:24 am

some time ago, richard dawkins published a book called the selfish gene, in which he suggested that genes were just using biological organisms to perpetuate themselves. he also suggested that thoughts did something similar, and to this end, he called them memes, or selfish thoughts, or something. anyways, it sounds like an interesting idea, but sadly i don't know too much about it, heh. anyways, that said, the meme meme is now using you to perpetuate itself. congratulations :) or something, hehe :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:10 am

I would say that the greatest subject to look at to see the idea of thoughts replicating themselves would be that of religions. In that case I consider it fairly easy to see what I mean...in the case of religion, if a religious idea doesn't stick with people then it dies off. You can also look at current religions to try and see what causes them to still exist. Things like scaring people into believing and encouraging blind faith.

Of course, science is an interesting thought to look at. I'm not sure what all it taps into, but it doesn't tap into fear of not believing, and it doesn't use blind faith. I think it taps into people's desire to discover truth, actually. But I'm not sure.

I think those thoughts could lead somewhere, but I've got other stuff I should be doing...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Phoenix » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:46 am

I have read rather briefly on the top but its still rather interesting. I think Dawkins was the first to introduce the idea of a darwin type selection as far as ideas go but that others have since expanded on the topic. Its interesting to consider that to some degree what is accepted might be due to its ability to surivie rather then its degree of truth or at least validity.
Phoenix
Traveler

Return to Twilight Zone