The War On Drugs

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

The War On Drugs

Postby lorien1 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:57 pm

Hi There.We don't seem to being very successful! Do you think we should just make drugs legal? Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby Neerowolf » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:57 pm

NO! NO NO NO! Drugs are horrible! All these deadbeats want to waste their money and their lives. Why? what comes out of it? Nothing! God...
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:12 pm

Only the weak minds take drugs as my grandpa said if ur mind is weak u got no idea what ur doing.
Formerly 'The Muffin Man'
Toby
Elite Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:15 pm

Thinking about it, there's bad parts to both sides...

1) Legalization will bring the drugs into everyday life and expose people to them who might not want to be exposed to them. I'm not talking about the act of taking the drug...I'm talking about things like second-hand smoke. Really, it's almost like I don't get to chose *not* to smoke, since people figure their "right to chose" is more important than everybody else's right to chose...

2) Keeping drugs illegal doesn't cause the drug to go away or disappear. Drugs being illegal causes gateway effects...if you're already going through the hoops to get an illegal drug then it's not that hard to take an extra step and try another one. Quality of the drugs is also harder to control, and often people pushing drugs will lace common drugs such as marijuana with other drugs in an effort to get people hooked on the other kind...and unfortunately mixing drugs is the worst thing you could do.

Anyways, my analysis on the war on drugs is that it is a drastic failure. Alot of that, imo, has to do with the fact that humanity is composed of too many overly selfish narrow-minded jerks...this touches on what Battousai said, actually. People will take drugs under peer pressure, being "weak minded" if you will. Or perhaps they will decide to try it because they think they're better than everybody else and they won't get addicted. It's a trap of stupidity that I know to avoid...to simply avoid becoming addicted I need only not "take that first smoke" that "won't hurt anything."
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:48 am

not that i am exactly an expert in the war on drugs, but... one of the points for legalization made in some movie was that drugs could also be taxed, and have regulations put on them, and in that way, they might actually serve as a better deterent than with propaganda aimed at drugs.

think back to prohibition. it was pretty much considered a drastic failure. people drank, despite it, and... organized crime thrived, off of it.

i may post more thoughts on it, later...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:42 am

NO! NO NO NO! Drugs are horrible! All these deadbeats want to waste their money and their lives. Why? what comes out of it? Nothing! God...
Only the weak minds take drugs as my grandpa said if ur mind is weak u got no idea what ur doing.

Alchohol, Tobacco and Tylenol are all legally available drugs.
There are also many life saving drugs. Not all drugs are evil and not all drugs are bad to the same degree.

1) Legalization will bring the drugs into everyday life and expose people to them who might not want to be exposed to them. I'm not talking about the act of taking the drug...I'm talking about things like second-hand smoke. Really, it's almost like I don't get to chose *not* to smoke, since people figure their "right to chose" is more important than everybody else's right to chose...

Which is why you legilate that all drugs with "second hand" effects can only be consumned in the privacy of the home, away from children.

2) Keeping drugs illegal doesn't cause the drug to go away or disappear. Drugs being illegal causes gateway effects...if you're already going through the hoops to get an illegal drug then it's not that hard to take an extra step and try another one. Quality of the drugs is also harder to control, and often people pushing drugs will lace common drugs such as marijuana with other drugs in an effort to get people hooked on the other kind...and unfortunately mixing drugs is the worst thing you could do.

Exactly. The only reason Marijuana is a 'gateway' drug and alchohol/tobacco isn't is because the people using marijuana, by its illegal nature, are more likely to try other drugs.

The way is a failure. It crowds prison systems and costs tax payers far, far too much money. Add to this that possesion and growing of marijuana can land you larger jail sentences the rape or murder and something is seriously wrong.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby lorien1 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:23 pm

I would make them all legal! If as you say. it's the weakminded etc that do drugs that won't change.

Take the Criminals out of the loop,supply legal drugs at a price the Drug Lords can't compete with.Pull the carpet out from below their feet, so too speak.Drug related crime would plummet,and tax Dollars
filter in to system.Think how many Billions that would save,and lifes.Some of that cash could provide rehab facilites.

The whole crimanal drug supplying network would become obsolete.Governments that work with the Drug Lords, through bribes
etc,would be screwed.

Drugs are happening all around us,we or the government/police can't stop the deluge of drugs coming in too countries.Colin.<*>.
lorien1
Recruit

Postby tsian » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:47 pm

I would make them all legal!

Certain drugs, however, are highly addictive and only a select few can resist them. There is very little reason for such products to be legal.

Not to mention you always have to weigh the public good against individual rights. So drugs with harmfull side effects which might tax health care if overly abuse and/or drugs with second hand smoke should be looked at carefully.

Take the Criminals out of the loop,supply legal drugs at a price the Drug Lords can't compete with.Pull the carpet out from below their feet, so too speak.Drug related crime would plummet,and tax Dollars
filter in to system.Think how many Billions that would save,and lifes.Some of that cash could provide rehab facilites.

Sure, but is there any reason for Heroin to be legally saleable? I can see it being prescribable to ween people off of it, but do we really want new heroin addicts?
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:27 am

lorien1 wrote:
Do you think we should just make drugs legal?
No, I don't.

My main reason for opposing it is the issue of safe regulation.

Over the counter (OTC) medications have been tested and are manufactured at a strength that has been proven safe for most users. Things that are available by prescription are stronger therefore a doctor has to decide if it is right for your physical condition.

How do you regulate safe use of something like LSD? One hit and you could experience recurring flashbacks to your psychedellic, perhaps frightening, experience for years to come.

Most of the drugs that are illegal do some sort of damage to a person's body and can even kill them. How would the FDA go about making these drugs "safe" for most users?

What doctor, who has taken an oath to help people, is going to write a prescription for heroin or crack which could kill them in a single use?

The only illegal substance I can possibly foresee being legalized would be marijuana but even that would put a severe dent in the campaign to outlaw tobacco cigarettes.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby lorien1 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:09 am

The most addictive drug,crime related to it,illness,death ........is Alchohol!!! If alchohol was not legal,and it was to be concidered for legality,it would NOT be made legal!! look what happened with prohabishon,organized crime steped in,crime was rampant.It was one of the worst decades in American history. People will ALWAYS wan't a mind altering substance,geography plays
a part in what drugs are used,the nothern hemisphere tends to be alcohol,the southern,cannibis etc.Saudi & other countries down there, alcohol is illegal,cannibis is widely used and legal.The reverse in the north.

To Remove organised crime from the drugs business,in my oppinion, is worth the legalisation of drugs,and the misery illegal drugs cause.Colin.<*>.
lorien1
Recruit

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:14 am

i do agree that the legalization of drugs would almost kill organized crime, but... is it really so bad, now, to warrant that? (it might be - i genuinly don't know)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:24 pm

Lorien, where did you read the alchohol is the most addictive drug?

It may be the drug with one of the highest addiction rates, but I have trouble believing it is more addictive then heroin, coccaine, etc.

is it really so bad, now, to warrant that? (it might be - i genuinly don't know)

It isn't great. People get robbed and beaten up all the time in the drug trade....
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby lorien1 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:11 am

Alcohol: Whan you have alot to drink,wake up next morning with a hang-over.What is the best cure? more alcohol!! a few drinks and you feel better."The hair of the dog that bit me" is a common expression.Your body wants more alchohol,give it some and you will feel better.Heroin, Coccaine, have a myth about their addiction rating,steming from poor knowledge years
ago.Withdrawl from alcohol is ALOT worse than opiates etc.D.T. delerium tremors are infinately worse & more dangerous than drug withdrawl.Alcohol is the MOST common drug abused.Colin.<*>.
lorien1
Recruit

Postby tsian » Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:04 am

]Alcohol: Whan you have alot to drink,wake up next morning with a hang-over.What is the best cure? more alcohol!!

Great anecdotal evidence. And yet, there are relatively few people addicted to alchohol (compared to those who drink it).

Heroin, Coccaine, have a myth about their addiction rating,steming from poor knowledge years

Do you have evidence to back up this claim?

Alcohol is the MOST common drug abused

I can believe that, it doesn't make it the most addictive.
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:57 am

(for anyone who doesn't know, a website does count as sufficient evidence, and is, in fact, probably the best - for the person trying to present evidence, websites are among the easiest sources of evidence, and for those trying to verify a claim, a website is among one of the easiest sources to verify)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Next

Return to Twilight Zone