Suicide

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Exalted Ugu » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:55 pm

I'm not saying that EVERYONE with no functional life is or should be suicidal. But there are those who are, and i would not deny them the right to make the only change they are capable of. I'm not advocating doing ANYTHING to anybody against their will.

But those people who have passed the point where they can improve themselves, who come to realize the hollowness and emptyness of their existance should be gently encouraged. Their options should be explained to them, and the painless methods of death available today should be made available to them if they wish it. If we explain how their death can benefit the world, they may not have anything to live for, but perhaps we can give them something to die for.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby Phoenix » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:21 pm

I suppose the only real problem I am having with your theory is that your saying you have to explain to them that these methods are available. If death became an accepted part of our society I don't see why this would be a problem. The infomation would be out their and informed individuals could make their choice.

Furthermore I suppose I am a bit more positive in my outlook, cause I don't think anyone is completely a lost cause.
Phoenix
Traveler

Postby Exalted Ugu » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:50 am

Perhaps, with a huge investment of time and patience from someone who cared deeply about them, these useless people could be rehabilitated, made useful to society (and indeed, themselves)... but one of the end results of the sort of self-centred apathetic indolence is that these people end up alienating or simply ignoring those who DO care about them... and a good part of being useless is simply not affecting anyone else's life in a positive way. Therefore, these useless people are unlikely to be rehabilitated, because no-one really cares enough about them to spend the required time and effort.

As for death becoming an accepted part of society, i agree. When suicide is no longer looked at as stigma, when it is an accepted and possibly popular way to choose one's own destiny, then it won't be neccessary to educate people about it. However, such education is now a PART of trying to get euthanasia accepted more widely. i mean, be honest... have you heard of the helium method?

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby Phoenix » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:55 pm

Well I will cede that this is an issue of debate that neither of us are likely to agree on. I personally wouldn't just give up on someone, no matter far gone they are in this respect. If their still healthy and intelligent, they have something to offer. Its just a matter of finding them. But I suppose on the other hand if they truely want death then i wouldn't stand in their way.

I agree at first education is needed, but in general. I don't see why giving the infomation to specific groups is nesscary. Until it becomes legal no one can be counseled per say on which to use for their death.
Phoenix
Traveler

Postby Sonic speed » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:18 am

thank god you guys cant stop me from commiting suicide
may i kill any thing i see or hear and sonic spin forums is gay god
Sonic speed
Traveler

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone