Suicide

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Roadkill » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:54 pm

here's another interesting question... why prevent people from committing suicide?
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:51 am

(I split this from the Death Penalty thread since it seemed more of a topic of its own than an off-topic side branch of that thread)

Here is a good reason to stop them: they are usually in a totally despaired state of mind at the time where they think no one cares for them, they have no purpose in life, their situation is hopeless and so on. They are not exactly in a good state of mind for making big decisions.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby tsian » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:55 am

As Nyu said. Generally, people contemplating suicide are in a deep state of despair and are making decisions they usually would not make.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby taenadar » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:49 am

true, but then i have another question:
why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets? :lol

"If you drink to forget, please pay before you drink"
taenadar
Elite Guard

Postby lorien1 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:00 pm

Roadkill wrote:here's another interesting question... why prevent people from committing suicide?

Hi.People in that frame of mind need help.Many people that have tried to commit suicide have carried on to live a productive life.At some point in some peoples lifes,they might have contemplated suicide.But they get over the problems that make them feel that way.Some don't, and end their lifes.There for the grace of god go i Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby lorien1 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:04 pm

taenadar wrote:true, but then i have another question:
why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets? :lol
To keep their ears warm :lol Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:23 pm

This is the best definition of suicide I have heard ...

Singer Courtney Love called it a "permanent solution to a temporary problem" after her husband, Kurt Cobain, killed himself with a shotgun.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Exalted Ugu » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:39 am

I have maybe a different take on this. I plan to kill myself.

It is a fact that almost everyone acquires a senile dementia if they live long enough, be it alzheimers, parkinsons, or some other hideous, debilitating disease, if you survive, you'll come down with one of them. And nothing scares me more than the thought of losing my mind. If i am my mind, than if my mind starts to die, i die, if i become some inept, drooling vegetable, i'm dead.

Now, i've seen what happens to the elderly when they get to the advanced stages of these dementias, and it isn't pretty. It's hard to keep loving someone when everything you loved about them: their kindness, their warmth, their smiling face, when all of it is washed away, and all they can do is sit and stare, afraid of everything, and unable to do anything.

So, when i find out that i'm coming down with one of these dementias, when i realize that my mind is going and not coming back, i'm going to gather those i love to me. I'm going to tell them all how much i love them, what they mean to me. I'll try to do the things we've enjoyed doing most, to give them a lasting memory of the PERSON i was. And then i'll go off and kill myself. I'll make sure they know in advance that this is what i want, that i am NOT depressed, and that i am happy to die when i'm still capable of loving and being loved, of recieving and returning emotion.

I want to die while i'm still me.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:48 am

that's a good point... i don't have a problem with suicide when it's pretty much just euthanasia, but should that be the only permissable use of suicide? are there other instances in which suicide isn't such a "bad thing"?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:49 am

Suicide, if made by concious, logical deicision is probably ok.

Hence I fully support Doctor assisted suicides.

Suicide from depression and hopelessness is not ok.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:12 am

Why not?

Have you considered that some people may just have nothing to live for? Some people's lives are so empty and shallow, their prospects so dim, that they could well benefit from suicide. The benefits to the rest of the world might be minimal, but benefits there certainly would be... one less body for medicare, one less person driving and wasting energy, one less source of pollution, one less consumer. If we could get all the useless people to voluntarily remove themselves, the world would be a better place. (Primarily because the majority of truly useless people are in the energy-hogging western world.)

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby Phoenix » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:39 am

Death is always something every culture has been afraid of to some extent. Of course thats to be expected we don't know what happens after our body stops functioning. The question is basicly related to one of what is reality. Are we nothing more then the sum of our subatomtic particles, or is their a soul(or something such as) wondering around inside or outside. So wether it is our own life or someone elses we don't like the idea of it ending. Especially if it was by their own hand for whatever reason.

I think I agree that someone that is depressed or suffering from some mental disorder. Is not an acceptable form, because the deision is made without having all the facts accounted for. They are looking from the bleakeist corner without understanding its not that bad.

I think terminal patients and people in well what we could termed a normal state of mind should have the option to end their life as they see fit. We may not like the idea, but as long as their not harming anyone else with their death in a physical manner. Then their is nothing wrong with it.
Phoenix
Traveler

Postby Exalted Ugu » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:27 am

What if it IS all bad? Some people have literally no life... they spend all their time absorbed in unfulfulling artificial pastimes (video games, sometimes junk fiction, etc) they produce nothing, they can barely relate to normal human beings, they don't have the will or the ability to change their lives into something meaninful.

You would deny these people the right to make the one important choice they have left? The choice to rid the world of their burden, to make life a little easier for the productive members? Why should you or i decide what these people should or should not do?

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby Phoenix » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:40 am

As you said they are absorbed in their video games, or some other habit. Everyone finds a niche and stays their, some people switch through the years. Just cause someone finds games, or fiction exciting and is passionate about it. Doesn't mean they feel like killing themselves.

The problem I see is that your making a pretty big assumption. That is that these people are willing to sacfice themselves because their unproductive according to you. Otherwise if the only reason they want to die is because they are unproductive and without human companionship of some form. These are things that can be worked on and aren't reasons to end one's life.
Phoenix
Traveler

Postby Murphy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:54 am

It is hard to understand people's suffering, all different kind's of suffering. No question about how hard it is to go on and look forward, especially in times like these, but still it's a very extreme solution to take. In a way is ones own choice to decide if suicide is the only way but yet one have to keep in mind the people around you, like parrents and relatives, you undeniably affetc them to. Ulitmately if one is depressed they should try to go on no matter what.

(dunno if anyone gonna slap me in the face now, but it is how i feel)

true, but then i have another question:
why do kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

HEH, its because then the pilots get the feeling that their superiors care about their healt but there is no other way :crazy
Sir. Foolishness!
visit our webcomic! http://www.twisted-irony.com (oh yeah it's currently, dead, deeead)
Murphy
Elite Guard

Next

Return to Twilight Zone