Al Gore for President?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Al Gore for President?

Postby Nyufrost » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:51 am

Al Gore previously announced he would not run for President but lately has been making a lot of muckraking-type anti-George Bush speechs.

Gore has been blasting Bush left and right on both foreign and domestic policies. Yet, he claims not to be running for office.

If he later announces his candidacy, that would mean he got in some deceptive free campaigning, no?

Gore, of course, made history in the last presidential election by demanding a recount in the state of Florida which led to a lot of bad press for him when it was found that a lot of dead people voted for him. He got further bad press for the overty tongue-swallowing kiss he and his wife got into while on camera during a campaign appearance.

In his concession speech, he seemed on the verge of bursting into tears and seemed a bit like a pouty spoiled child when announced that his mother always told him he was destined to be President of the United States. Then he grew the Abe Lincoln-looking beard and kept a relatively low profile until recently.

Opponents suggest he should stay out of the race since he already said he was not going to run. Hmmm ... could we really trust him on any of his campaign promises if we couldn't trust him on his word that he was not going to run for President again?

Gore's vice presidential candidate, Senator Joe Liebermann, is a candidate and I am really surprised he is not doing very well in the pre-nomination polls. I was stunned to see that civil rights activist Al Sharpton is doing amazingly well and --at one point-- was leading in the polls. O_O

I wonder why Libermann is doing so poorly .... I wonder if it is because he is associated with the 2000 Florida fiasco with Gore? In which event, would Al Gore even have any shot at winning the election if he entered?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:00 pm

I don't know. I suppose I could share a fairly interesting observation I had...

A news station I happened to watch showed video of Al Gore walking through a mall or something apparently not doing something political. It suddenly dawned on me that then and there he actually *looked* like a good guy, where-as in all the debates against bush before he, well, didn't look too trustworthy.

Of course, actions speak louder than words or looks...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Icegaze » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:55 pm

He lost before, he'll lose again. I don't think he should try, but that's just my opinion. But hey, I'm open to my opinions, aren't I?
Icegaze
Castle Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:59 am

Yes, we all are entitled to our opinions, Icegaze.

I have read that the reason John F. Kennedy was elected over Richard Nixon was that during their debates, Kennedy wore makeup on camera and came off looking relaxed and tan while Nixon came off looking pasty white, sweaty and nervous albeit dishonest.

As it turned out, Nixon was later elected and had to resign rather than being impeached over some scandal. So, it seems that maybe the initial voter opinion was accurate?

Maybe your initial vision of Al Gore is also accurate, Giga. :p

I think the dumbest thing he ever said was that he "created the internet" which would be sort of like Bill Gates claiming to have invented computers. Gore popularized the term "information superhighway" but he sure did not conceive, create, invent or in any way develop the internet.

That sort of makes me feel like any campaign promises he might make would be about as overblown as that claim.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:17 am

i hope the basis of your opinion isn't that one quote (it doesn't seem to be - i'm just hoping what doesn't seem to be isn't, hehe :)).

here's an article "debunking" that quote, in a matter of speaking:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.htm
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:01 am

Maybe your initial vision of Al Gore is also accurate, Giga.

Why does this remind me of the "Programmer or Serial Killer" test? :p

Very interseting link you've got there, Terra. Now I can informatively talk about that, since I have the feeling it'll pop up in the future... :)
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby tsian » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:29 am

Of course, one fact that is almost overlooked, is that many eligible voters were disqualified from the Florida vote. In an effort to keep criminals from voting Florida hired a company to purge criminals from the voters list. Not only were criminals purged, many people with similar names or SS numbers were also denied the vote (some elections officials even). Also, criminals (and people with similar names /SS) from the state of Texas (I believe it was texas, I could be wrong) were also struck from the eligible voter list, despite having commited no offense to warrant such an action in the state of florida. As a rule, the people struck from the list were poorer and usually black, in other words people who would normally vote Democrat.

As for Al Gore losing, well, thats really a double edged sword. He did get the popular vote and many eligible votes were disqualified (while many votes which should have been ineligible were counted). All in all, the election was a fiasco. A recount should have happened and should have been mandated by law.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:13 am

TerraFrost wrote:i hope the basis of your opinion isn't that one quote (it doesn't seem to be - i'm just hoping what doesn't seem to be isn't, hehe :)).
Yep, you're right, it isn't. :p

After looking at your link though, I feel what I said was pretty good for being from memory. :oops:
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Return to Twilight Zone