Post War Iraqi Situation

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Post War Iraqi Situation

Postby Nyufrost » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:43 am

The war is supposedly officially over but each day more US soldiers are ambushed and killed and the coalition is still hunting down the Hussein regime.

Proponents say the killing of Uday and Qusay Hussein was a major turning point in the war and shows the Iraqi people that the feared Hussein regime will not be coming back into power.

Opponents say that US soldiers continue to die at a daily rate and there is no sign it is letting up. The weapons of mass destruction have not been located and Saddam Hussein is still at large.

Regarding Uday and Qusay, there are those who say showing their dead bodies on television was just terrible while others argue it was necessary to prove they were killed.

What say you about all this?

I personally feel strongly both ways. I agree with showing the pictures of the dead Husseins because it's nothing worse than they usually show on the news and I think the Iraqi people needed some confirmation.

At the same time, it bothers me that it seems like more US soldiers have been killed after the war "ended" than were killed while it was active.

On Fox TV's O'Reilly Factor a couple of nights ago, there was an expert on Middle East affairs who said 80% of the Iraqi people are glad the US-led coalition ousted Hussein but they are worried that 1) their cities won't be rebuilt and 2) the US wants to choose their new leader.

Well, rebuilding can't be done overnight but --from what I have seen on TV-- it *is* happening and I think the US-UK want the Iraqis to have a free government but with a leader they (the people) elect. I think the US-UK probably should have appointed some interim leader until an election can be held but I think the 20% of the population that supported Hussein and/or hated the US and/or UK to begin with are making it difficult for everyone. :\
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:15 pm

I personally feel strongly both ways. I agree with showing the pictures of the dead Husseins because it's nothing worse than they usually show on the news and I think the Iraqi people needed some confirmation.

maybe it's not worse then what they show on al-jazzera, but i can't recall the last time i saw a dead body (like the ones they showed of those two people) was shown on a major US news network. if the iraqi people need confirmation, let al-jazzera air it.

On Fox TV's O'Reilly Factor a couple of nights ago, there was an expert on Middle East affairs who said 80% of the Iraqi people are glad the US-led coalition ousted Hussein but they are worried that 1) their cities won't be rebuilt and 2) the US wants to choose their new leader.

one has to wonder how they conducted that poll, heh.

anyways, i don't believe the US will make iraq a democracy. it's not in their best interest. if they give the people the power, the people will most likely kick america out, raise the price of oil, and just do things to make themselves rich, while the rest of the world has to pay. i mean, generally, americans want to be rich, and don't care about what others have to pay. i don't see why iraq would be any different.

now, that said, i read an interesting letter in a local newspaper about this very subject... it was from a repentant pro-war person.

they actually gave the best point for war i have heard to date, too. they admitted that the US *was* going after Iraq because of their oil, that there were better targets to liberate, and that Iraq wasn't even the most threatening (north korea is). but... whatever the reason, the Iraqi people should get liberated. granted, the US gets something in return, but so do they. we can't liberate everyone, after all - we have to prioritize whom we liberate. if we control one source of oil, perhapes we can better liberate other countries...

that was his argument for war, pretty much... the reasons he recanted her because... plans for a democratic Iraq were being shelved, Iraqi aren't safer then they were before, basic utilities are out of service, and oil production is a bare fraction of what it once was. world opinion of the US has fallen dramatically, the cost of the occupation is skyrocketing, there are more and more Iraqi casualties, and we, ourselves, are no safer now then we were before the war started.

i've heard the Iraqi war compared to the vietnam war. the first part wasn't the real war. this is, and it's a "quagmire"...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:54 am

That's a good point about Al-Jareeza, Terra. In reconsidering it, I think you are right.

Now, I think I would have to question by what authority the "repentant pro-war person" is "admitting" anything about military operations. What are his qualifications? Is he a former high ranking official who is privvy to secret information or is he just some guy off the street giving his opinion? I think those are kind of important things to consider.

I think the Iraqi situation seems to have calmed down a bit since the Hussein sons were killed. They were the main resistance leaders. Not to say the resistance forces won't regroup but it seems to be looking a little less likely ... today one of Saddam Hussein's personal bodyguards was captured. I think if he can be captured it will really take the wind out of opposition sails.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby lorien1 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:13 am

I found it a bit disturbing "the weapons of mass destruction" were not found.Also Bush & Blair will decide how the "oil revenue" will be spent.Soldiers
are still being killed,and Iraq is in turmoil!! We just don't get told what's going on.And i don't think we will!! Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Return to Twilight Zone