gun control

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby lorien1 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:35 pm

:MIB If you take hand guns out of the system you have NO gun related deaths other than illegal ownership!! There is lies,damn lies,then statistics!!! If you carry a gun,you carry it because you feel it is needed to protect yourself.A simple incident could lead to a shooting,it has happened maby times.I think it's a case we agree to disagree!! :lol Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby tsian » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:42 pm

If you take hand guns out of the system you have NO gun related deaths other than illegal ownership!

Which, in most places, is how it is anyways. Almost every shooting here (and we have very few) is related to criminal activity. I can't remember the last time an ordinary citizen shot someone (or was shot).

Removing guns from all the people who legally posses them would not make the city any safer here.

A simple incident could lead to a shooting,it has happened maby times

Not here. If you teach proper respect for the gun, you eliminate such happenings.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby lorien1 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:55 pm

:MIB The majority of all shootings are carried out by legal hand guns.That's the situation in most countries world wide.I don't know how things are in your country,but that is the rule of thumb else where.And most shootings are by people that know each other!!! particualy "domestic" shootings.Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby tsian » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:35 pm

Hmm, of all the shooting reported here, I would say well over 90% (anecdotally) are gang related and are in no way domestic. I can't remember the last time I heard of a domestic shooting.
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:41 pm

personally, i don't hear of many shootings at all, heh. although, that said, i don't think it is all that far fetched. most people raped are raped by someone they know. couldn't it be the same with murder? i don't know, but i think it could be. of course, just because you know someone doesn't mean that that death isn't gang related, either...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:55 pm

Murder and shootings are two different things though.
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:03 pm

well, i was using them synonymously... what i meant was in the context of this debate (shooting), so... *replaces all occurances of murder with shooting*:

personally, i don't hear of many shootings at all, heh. although, that said, i don't think it is all that far fetched. most people raped are raped by someone they know. couldn't it be the same with shootings? i don't know, but i think it could be. of course, just because you know someone doesn't mean that that shooting isn't gang related, either...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:15 am

True. At any rate, from my observance of the news, most shootings are not domestic and almost no shootings are random.
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:12 am

i don't watch the news, and couldn't find any links that mentioned the percentages of shootings that were domestic, so... while it seems possible, it's also possible i'm missing something, hehe :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:19 pm

I like that ppl are able to have guns (after training 'n all) here (US). And in the city I live in it's law that (unless you have some sort of religious thing agianst it) the head of every house has to own (and know how to use) a gun. It cuts down on crime a lot.

My mom has a gun and when I'm old enough I'm going to get trained to use one.

I also think that it's important to remember that the weapon isn't commetting the crime, the person is. Guns don't float around shooting people.
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:35 pm

that's interesting... a law requiring guns, heh. i've never really heard of such a thing, heh.

I also think that it's important to remember that the weapon isn't commetting the crime, the person is. Guns don't float around shooting people.

a pro gun-control person would might respond with something like... guns may not committ the crime, but they make it easier to committ it.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone