Capital Punishment for Minors

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Capital Punishment for Minors

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:31 am

The U.S. is one of the few nations that allows the death penalty for juveniles. Should the death penalty for minors be abolished?

Proponents say kids who are not old enough to drink, vote or serve on a jury should be not be so severely punished for their mistakes and are clearly too young to face execution. Recently, three Supreme Court justices suggested that capital punishment of minors should be abolished.

Opponents say murderers should not be allowed to hide behind age to avoid punishment and that the most heinous crimes should result in the strongest punishment. They also point out that it is unconstitutional to execute anyone below the age of 15 and this law really only applies to 16 and 17 year olds.

What say you?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Neerowolf » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:44 pm

I think there should be, because if some 15 year old goes an a killing spree, then they can't say 'oh, hes too young for his actions' because thats not right. Kids can think, too. They have minds, and by their teens, they have enough knowledge of the world to figure out that its bad *OR* to make a plan to kill someone. I think they should have the same laws apply, but have them be a bit more lenient towards they kids. because...

I believe the children are our future! I'd sing more if i knew the words
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:21 pm

I say personally believe that that's a loud of balogna; everyone should be held accountable for their actions, no matter their age.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby shahmask » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:31 pm

I have to agree with all of ya'll. however, i also agree with the part about ppl that are being put to death not beaing able to drink, vote, or serve on a jury. So, i say, bring all legal adult age stuff down to 16.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Return to Twilight Zone