what makes someone patriotic?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:33 pm

war is never good is a biased (i hope i used that word right) opinion. Youve been told it from birth, but logically assess it...?

ok... you may now consider it to be "logically assessed" :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:40 pm

something bush said before, right after he gained presidency, he said something like "see? even a c+ student can become president." Now, i'm not saying that thats bad, but it does tell you something. and if he didn't rely on those people:
If the President didnt rely on these slow bastards who cant seem to agree on much, im sure his original idea would've been p ut into effect long ago, and things would have improved.
then its not they're fault he relied on them. Maybe he's slow too. I think that war can help the economy, but people die, and you waste billions of dollars. I haven't seen a war where there is very little deaths AND very low costs. Btw, do you think that getting the oil for very cheap helps? Now, the iraqi community won't make a lot of profits. AND if we are to help them, we're putting ourselves farther in trouble. I'm not biased to president bush, i just don't like him because hes making stupid statements and stupid decisions.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby shahmask » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:47 pm

the us gov't was designed to move slowly. the american colonists were trying to distance themselves from how the brit gov't worked. they didn't want the continuous power changes or the passing of laws that they regretted because they didn't consider repricussions.

many analysts actually believed the war would hurt the us economy. http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/st ... ryID=58154 (there's numerous articles such as this on the internet. i didn't want to list all of them.)
during the war and after, sectors of the economy did hurt.
http://web.mid-day.com/news/world/2003/april/48907.htm
the republicans still believe they can apply old world philosophy to the US today. it doesn't work. they don't take into account the new electronic, service, and global economy.

My god, if our country is being polluted iwth so many friggin stupid people thrusting their ideas into smart ones, and doing stupid things just because they thought it was good, though it doesnt do good, why am i living here?

i don't even know what the hell this means. however, i can say the reason i believe that the US is the best country in the world(no offense to canadians and brits) is because of the ideas of americans including those of different races, national origins, and religions. the US doesn't(or atleast didn't during 8 wonderful clinton years) only consider white christians, although it is starting to lean that way again.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby Roadkill » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:29 pm

i hadnt meant war in relation to the economy, i had meant war in general.

i understand bushes personality, and he really doesnt like to have to come clashing head to head with people, thus how he came up with several reasons to attack sadaam rather than just going directly at it. He used his influence to make congress go along with him, indirectly.

however, to get the bill for tax cuts done the way he wants it, he would have had to gone directly against congress, while meanwhile the economy suffers more and more. Even a small solution is better than none.

However, he has reached such heavy criticism for this act that he was unable to work on forcing an even better fix, and we are stuck. Pressure was too great in that area, so he had to turn away from it.

the economy is slow right now, but there is no reason to believe it wont pick up. The fix wasnt the best, but it managed to somehow get the job done somehow. Im not even sure if it was that tax cut.

and even though every of every culture and place can strive for a position in power in the US gov, it is still the majority that wins. From the begining the majority was white christians, and its gotta be quite a big change to move that around. Thus if you want to find rules and laws that apply to your tastes, it will probably be within another country. Language problems discourage that, though, as well as a few other problems.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Javafrost » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:25 am

What makes someone patriotic? Loving their country. No more, no less.
"Endeavor to persevere." -- Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josey Wales
Javafrost
Recruit

Postby shahmask » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:05 am

well said java

and even though every of every culture and place can strive for a position in power in the US gov, it is still the majority that wins. From the begining the majority was white christians,

I dissagree with that statement. the US is all about protecting the minority. for instance, the majority of americans(white christians) were for keeping slavery. the majority of the US was also for segregation back when but the supreme court struck that down. the majority of the US was for allowing states to place laws on sexual conduct(allowing sodomy laws) but the supreme court struck that down also.

anyways, i know im a liberal and i know im a patriot, i just don't like the people in power and their views. the way i see it this country and its people have gone through hell with the republicans in control these past 2 and half years.(even though i know it's not all the president's and hs ppl's faults) i just think he's going at this the wrong way. but that's a political thing, not a question of being a patriot. i know im a patriot. afterall, i do think this is the best country in the world.(no offense to you canadians and brits)
shahmask
Castle Guard

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone