Mate and Die

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Mate and Die

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:34 am

Ok ... this is pretty trippy and weird so I'm posting it here.

It seems that Canadian scientists have been studying the mating habits of some Southern California spiders and discovered that the male dies instantly after mating. Some female spiders kill the male after mating but with this particular species, he just dies by himself!

Even more strange is that he mates with his feet and once he finishes with the first one and tries to stick the second one in, his foot swells and becomes stuck, he has a spider heartattack and dies. Other males may get mad and try to remove the dead male because they want to mate with the female but they are too weak and the female has to break the dead male's mating aperatus off to be rid of him.

I cannot resist pointing out that guys should be glad they are not like spiders. :lila

Anyway ... READ THIS ARTICLE ... I thought it was pretty interesting and I *hate* spiders! :puke
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Neerowolf » Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:39 am

O_O

That's it. That's all i had to say...
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:18 am

Praying Mantis males die after mating too...not self-destructing, though, but the female eats their head, apparently.

But, that's weird how those spiders die like that.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Roadkill » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:42 am

ive never seen them eat them, but i do see the heads on the floor.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:04 am

Yes, many insect species have it where the females kills the male, either before, during, or after copulation. Often the female will then lay her eggs in the male so that the babies can have an easy meal of their father's corpse when they first hatch. Or, with the mantis' I think, the female consumes the male herself so as to be most healthy for making lots of little eggs.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby WRB » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:31 pm

Yeah, thats true... I cant think of anything smart to say, so I'll just say O.o
WRB
Townfolk

Return to Twilight Zone