Life on Mars

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Dracofrost » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:14 am

Well, the very large mirrors would be for terraforming purposes, but they'd only be a part of any full terraforming operation upon Mars; it would still be a rather vast undertaking. Taking many decades at the least, I would think. Possibly a century or two. It'd be the most massive engineering project ever undertaken by humankind. So yeah, you could say then that it's wishful thinking; but then again, all previous works that were at there time the greatest engineering project ever undertaken by mankind have been accomplished, despite the fact that they seemed wishful thinking, perhaps in some cases because of it. But anyways, having giant solar sail type metalic foil mirrors with areas of many and many square miles reflecting sunlight that would have normally missed Mars back onto it, creating areas on the night surface that are once again day, and parts of the day that are extra bright; you know, heating it up more. But mirrors alone wouldn't be enough to fully terraform mars, though they would certainly help with at least getting it warmer despite it's being farther from the sun. Anyways, this isn't even my idea; just something I've mentioned to WRB in casual conversation.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby WRB » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:22 am

Its not? I thought it was... Whered you get it?
WRB
Townfolk

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:09 am

Oh, I forget exactly where, just picked it up at some place, prolly discovery channel, or scientific american, or maybe some random website, maybe linked too off of http://www.islandone.org ? I dunno... Somewhere... prolly not on islandone, since that's about space habitats, not really for terraforming...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone