Affirmative Action and Racial Equality

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Affirmative Action and Racial Equality

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:06 am

The US Supreme Court has made a 5-4 ruling upholding that Affirmative Action is important and necessary to ensure racial diversity on college campuses by providing preferential acceptance based on ethnicicity.

ARTICLE HERE

Proponents say that the decision didn't go far enough because it ruled against a point system factoring race in undergraduate admissions.

Opponents say this is "reverse discrimination" and violates the Constitution's guarantee against discrimination. They advocate equal treatment for all races and racial preference should be outlawed overall.

My personal opinion is that for decades, minorities --Blacks in particular-- have yammered on about "equal rights" when it appears what they really mean by that is "special rights" and it seems they want "preferential" treatment not "equal" treatment. This is a real pet peeve of mine.

Minorities say they don't want to be discriminated against yet they turn around and virtually say "we are too dumb to get into college without some special considerations." It's really sort of a put down to their own races. :\

I think Affirmative Action is unconstitutional and should be outlawed because it is in direct odds with the "eqaulity to all" premise on which the constitution is based.

Black Johnny, White Johnny, Asian Johnny, Hispanic Johnny ... they should all be judged by their academic achievements, NOT on what color their skin is, when they apply for admission into college. Why should a kid with a 2.0 average be considered a better asset to a learning institution than a kid with a 4.0 average? Sure, socializing is a natural part of college but isn't the *main* purpose to learn and receive a higer education?

When my friend and I were both applying for scholarships and grants, the only thing I could qualify for was a scholarship from California State Univeristy system based on my academic achievements. My friend applied for, and received, a free education grant despite the fact that my mother was divorced and made less money than her father! She wondered why and I told her it was because she had indicated on the forms that she was Hispanic (her Dad is White and her mom is Hispanic) so she reapplied saying she was White and was turned down. She did what I thought was a pretty noble thing then ... she wrote a letter back to the place she had gotten the grant from and refused it, saying she should have gotten it or not gotten it regardless of what race she claimed.

If I were a minority person, I would be more proud of my achievements if I could say "I went to Stanford University!" than if I could say "I got into Stanford despite my substandard GPA and SAT scores, thanks to Affirmative Action!"
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:10 pm

while i do think that people who are underprivileged deserve as much of an oppurotunity as those who aren't, but... i don't think race is a factor in determining how priviliged you are. i think socio-economic status is.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:39 am

Really, it should be quite obvious that favoritism, in either way, is most definatly racism, if reversed from the way it went in past times. But blah, racism is racism, no matter which way it goes, and I personally hate all of it.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Nyufrost » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:46 am

Dracofrost wrote:racism is racism, no matter which way it goes
Precisely!

If colleges and universities wanted to improve diversity and give the underprivileged a chance at higher education, then it should not be based on race but upon financial need regardless of race.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Return to Twilight Zone