Taxing Junk Food

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Taxing Junk Food

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:25 am

Congress is currently considering a 1% tax on junk and fast foods.

Proponents argue that childhood obesity is a major concern and that parents and children need to be educated on how to eat healthily and the tax could could go toward education costs.

Opponents contend that a 1% tax is not high enough to deter anyone from buying unhealthy foods and that there is already a tax on foods. They also point out that many people eat snack/junk foods without ever getting fat so why should they be penalized for those who do gain weight?

My opinion is that such a tax is ludcrous for a variety of reasons.

First of all, why do we need to spend more money on education? The basic food groups are taught as part of the basic cirriculum in elementary school. Any adult who is unaware of this probably has immigrated from another country ... why not simply make basic nutrition a part of their citizenship requirement? If they are not citizens, then why should we be taxed to pay for their education anyway? Middle schools and high school offer electives of Home Economics, Foods and Nutrition. Why not just make it a requirement? No extra money is required for any of this.

Secondly, I agree with the part about not everyone getting fat from eating the same foods. Metabolism is key. Also, there are several diseases and conditions that cause obesity. Person A may be extremely overweight from a thyroid or even an ovary condition --anything that throws off the body's natural chemical balance-- and may rarely eat junk food while Person B may have a great metabolism and eats it constantly and never gains an ounce. So, how is a tax on junk food fair?

IMO ... it isn't and I don't really want the government controlling what I can and can't eat.

If you feel strongly either way about this issue, you can vote at http://www.vote.com/vote/60132206/index.phtml and the results are passed on to your local lawmakers. So far, over 53m people have voted ... including me. :)
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:14 pm

of those 53m people who have voted, 89% agree with you :)

as do i, hehe - taxing tobacco is one thing because they went out of their way to cover things up, and are, in a sense, being punished for bad behavior. fast food companies haven't taken part in any such cover ups... seems to me like, if anything, we should be rewarding them, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:24 pm

So far, over 53m people have voted ... including me.
And me, hehe.

Yeah, I agree with you 2, charing a tax on junk food is just ridiculous.

Charging a tax on fast food is even dumber, I mean, many fast food places sell pre-made salads(it's fast food), so are they going to charge people who are trying to eat somewhat healthy as well? Knowing the way the goverment works sometimes, I wouldn't be suprised! :lol
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Neerowolf » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:14 am

53,000,001 for me. I mean, come on! seriously. I hate lots of fast food. I'm a soccer player, and i find it good to stay in shape. I just order a coke or a salad most of the time. Hey, i don't just eat that, don't get me wrong.

As a concerned customer, i submit that the tax is wrong.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby WRB » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:16 pm

hmmm... I can see the idea, but I dont agree with it. The tax I mean. I think its our decision to be fat or not. Also, a 1% tax seems too small for junk food. Yeah, thats kinda stupid...
WRB
Townfolk

Postby Neerowolf » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:28 pm

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that food makes you fat. this reminds me of the time those girls sued because McDonalds made them fat. Like they didn't know...
good point WRB
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:35 am

Yeah, they were talking about this kind of stuff on the news today. People should stop blaming things on everyone else and start accepting responsibility for their own actions.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Dracofrost » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:49 am

I personally believe that what Noxious last said holds very true, and not just to this topic alone. And I personally find any more taxes ridiculous. If they wanted more money going for the education of people on how junk food can make you fat, they really oughta just use all the bloody money they take from us more efficiently. But as long as people are attracted to political office because of greed and a lust for power and wealth, that prolly won't happen. Er, sorry to have gone a bit off topic... but yeah, I seem to be in agreement with everyone else here, who are all in agreement with everyone else else here. Yeah...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Javafrost » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:48 am

I agree with you all. Not only is it a ridiculous idea, but it won't work for a couple of reasons. There is actually a lot of variety in opinions about what constitutes proper nutrition, so the "education" would likely not be very helpful. Also, you can bet that there would be plenty of lobbying about the content of the "education" to protect the interests of big corporations. Preaching to the choir, but ... hallelujah!
"Endeavor to persevere." -- Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josey Wales
Javafrost
Recruit

Return to Twilight Zone