Are Sexy Cartoons OK for Kids?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Gigafrost » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:33 am

I have to say that your scenarios are not very well constructed, Nyu. They're incredibly biased. You just had them playing around violent, not actually violent, where-as you had them acting like pimps after watching. To be fair, how about the violent scene be...

1) Little tommy is chasing down the family dog to hit it over the head with a fake axe.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Nyufrost » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:34 am

Well, Terra, many people speculate that 5 year old Jon-Benet Ramsey was murdered because some perv was excited by her "sexy" actions. In fact, it is said that many kids fall victim to adult predators after acting "sexy" to them. Not only are they brutally raped and tortured but some are actually killed as a result of their "sexy" behavior (encouraged by parents who think it's "cute") so I think more kids wind up being victims in this manner as opposed to playing "shoot 'em up" with Dad's gun. In fact, most cases I have ever heard of with kids being shot are accidental.

So, adult negligence would be to blame for kids getting ahold of a loaded weapon and managing to shoot themself or someone else, IMO, not Yosemite Sam.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:14 am

why isn't yosemite sam to blame for violent deaths when stripella is blamed for erotic acts? it seems to me as if adult negligence plays as much a part in a kid performing erotic acts as it does in kids shooting each other, if not more of a part. erotic acts don't kill, in and off themselves, and as such, you can miss it once, and still be a-ok - you can't do this with guns.

further, people who will kill over sex will likely do so regardless of whether or not your kid performs erotic acts rather frivoliously. it's not the fault of strippela that there are violent sex offenders out there. strippela can't do anything about that. strippela didn't make them the violent criminals they are today - if any cartoon character did, it would be yosemiti sam.

to explain in a different way... strippela may be able to make kids strip a lot... yosemiti sam can likewise make kids shoot one another. shooting one another leads to a *direct* death, whereas the death caused by strippela is *indirect*...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:35 am

If you read my second post in particular you will see that parental control is the main issue here.

It is indeed just as negligent for a parent to leave a loaded gun laying around than to allow the kids to watch cartoons/movies with sex and/or violence. I think when I mentioned how my friend's kid was parroting Arnold's most profane line that it was a prime example of how parents need to be more aware and involved.

As to why I make a distinction between a cartoon in which a mouse beats up a cat (or a 2 foot tall person with a moustache the size of a baseball hat shoots at varmints, or a roadrunner drops a boulder on a coyote's head) and one that features a human-looking female stripping, lap dancing and using her breasts as weapons is a reality issue.

It's a lot easier for an adult to explain to a kid that Yosemite Sam is not real and the bullets in his gun aren't real and he's not really killing anyone .... don't ever play with Dad's gun because it IS real and it really will hurt people and they won't just wake up afterwards than it is to try to explain why they shouldn't do a lap dance on Uncle JoeBob's lap.

For one thing, a 5 year old may be able to *imitate* sexy acts they see but it has no meaning to them at that age. They don't get off on playing with themselves at that age. They have no sexual feelings at that age. So, how do you explain to them the effect gyrating around on men's laps is likely to have?

Anyways, Giga made a good example about Little Johnny chasing the family dog and trying to hit it with a fake axe. I think that is far more likely to happen than a kid getting a hold of a gun and trying to shoot anyone.

Kids are like parrots and need far more parental guidance than most parents seem to realize ... whether it be watching sex or violence.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:53 am

It is indeed just as negligent for a parent to leave a loaded gun laying around than to allow the kids to watch cartoons/movies with sex and/or violence.

you misunderstand me... if a kid is stripping left and right, the parent should see *that* and tell the kid to stop *that*. i'm not talking about watching tv / movies.

It's a lot easier for an adult to explain to a kid that Yosemite Sam is not real and the bullets in his gun aren't real and he's not really killing anyone .... don't ever play with Dad's gun because it IS real and it really will hurt people and they won't just wake up afterwards than it is to try to explain why they shouldn't do a lap dance on Uncle JoeBob's lap.

For one thing, a 5 year old may be able to *imitate* sexy acts they see but it has no meaning to them at that age. They don't get off on playing with themselves at that age. They have no sexual feelings at that age. So, how do you explain to them the effect gyrating around on men's laps is likely to have?

just as children aren't going to know what an orgasm feels like, they are not going to know what a bullet going through their flesh feels like, unless they are a very unfortunate kid. so how do you explain to a kid that a bullet going through a kid is going to hurt if you can't explain why lapdancing is wrong?

Anyways, Giga made a good example about Little Johnny chasing the family dog and trying to hit it with a fake axe. I think that is far more likely to happen than a kid getting a hold of a gun and trying to shoot anyone.

i've never seen a fake axe, but yes... that is a more likely scenario. that scenario is a *lot* more likely then even your scenario of a kid lapdancing for someone and then getting raped / tortured / killed because of it. so perhapes we should *both* come up with more realistic scenarios?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:31 pm

The chance of a kid picking up a real gun is less than 1% unless he lives in afghanistan or something, in which case he should have learned the lesson much quicker. The chance of a kid immitating a lapdance is maybe 2%, but not 10%.

This is assuming they are six/seven year olds, and not these parroting 3 year olds yall speak of. Remember the friggin age group.

I whink what giga meant by a fake axe is that the kid thinks it is fake, but it is really real. That could happen, but where would he get the idea to chase the dog with it? He would more likely try to strike it at wood, where the only danger is him accidentally hitting his own hand or letting go as he strikes it. And usually because he knows that is a no-no, there arent people around.

-_- please, be realistic here people. This isnt dramatic. You can give rapists ideas when they lapdance, but you wont give murders ideas when they pretend to shoot people or "play rough"
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:36 pm

Well, the reason I said fake axe was because I figured that a small parroting kid wouldn't be able to carry one, but it occured to me that a smaller axe (or a big hatchet) would do the trick.

Either way, it is not okay to bash the dog in the head with an axe, fake or not. With a real axe that'd be pretty bad. And where am I getting this? How often does Elmer Fudd chase his dog around trying to kill it with an axe? It's so freaking common in loony tunes cartoons to see a character chasing down another with an axe just because he's angry.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Roadkill » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:41 pm

i thought you were referring to hand axe :p

anyway, i cant remember any scenes of axe chasing happening in looney tunes. But do remember that they never managed to hit anything, and this puts in the effect that chasing somebody with an axe is a failed option. And if they are angry with the dog, they will probably whine and complain and scream and yell, rather than go straight to the shed and grab an axe that may somehow be in reach. But.... because they know it is a wrong thing to do, they will probably be rather hesitant, and the anger will leave them before they get there with the axe.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:51 pm

The chance of a kid immitating a lapdance is maybe 2%, but not 10%.

i'm not talking about immitating... i'm talking about this:

Well, Terra, many people speculate that 5 year old Jon-Benet Ramsey was murdered because some perv was excited by her "sexy" actions. In fact, it is said that many kids fall victim to adult predators after acting "sexy" to them. Not only are they brutally raped and tortured but some are actually killed as a result of their "sexy" behavior (encouraged by parents who think it's "cute")

and... even if the possibility that a kid immitating a lapdance was 2%... i addressed that, too - just change 10% to 2%, and 1% to... .001% then, hehe :):

to edit your scenarios around a bit... which would you rather have... a 1% chance that a kid may find a real gun, and use it as is done in cartoons, or a 10% change that a kid may take off all their clothes and act like a stripper? one of these possibilities has an unfortunate permanence to it. you can't really tell someone that what they're doing is bad after they're dead...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone