"right to reply"

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

"right to reply"

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:41 pm

europe is considering passing a new law that would require "all Internet news organizations, moderated mailing lists and even web logs (blogs - ie. livejournal.com) to allow a right of response to any person or organization they criticize". (summary from slashdot.org)

now, personally, i feel as if this is stupid, for a number of reasons. to use an analogy, say someone published a book about why guns are bad. this law would in effect require the book to include a little blip about why guns are good, as well, at which point, the book serves no point. if you don't like it, don't read it. don't spoil it for those who would like it.

also, this is almost a reversal of freedom of speech. freedom of speech states that anyone can say what they want to say. this is, in effect, stating that whatever someone says, you have to listen. well, in a sense.

also, who determines what exactly qualifies as criticism? do opinions count? if i say "i don't like coca cola" does coca cola then have the right to say that i'm wrong? what if i say "coca cola has 10 ounces more sugar then pepsi"... does pepsi then have the right to say that i'm wrong?

and, of course, there are already some checks and balances in place, already. if you say an outright lie, you'll probably get sued, anyways...

here's the article:

http://rss.com.com/2010-1071_3-1017333. ... &subj=news

here's a comment addressing some of the anti-europe sentiment in that article:

http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid ... id=6212203
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:12 pm

Well personally Im not a big fan of the EU and not overly suprised that they would do this. Though does this only count for papers in the EU or are they going to try to censure everything?
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:21 pm

actually, i'm not sure it counts for papers at all, hehe :lila:

from the gist of it, it looks like it's targeting stuff on the internet.

and also... i think for message boards like this, that don't have a leaning either way, it may well be a good thing, but... i don't think we need some law to tell us that we need to let other people state to counter our attacks, so to speak... we already sorta have that, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: "right to reply"

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:50 pm

TerraFrost wrote:say someone published a book about why guns are bad. this law would in effect require the book to include a little blip about why guns are good, as well, at which point, the book serves no point.

The right to reply does not mean you have to include anything in advance so I don't think it would have any effect on books, newspapers, magazines and so on.

Now, let's say you have attacked Rev. Jesse Jackson in a post here in which you made a number of false or ambiguous statements about him ... well, he would have the right to make a post to counter that -- assuming he has nothing better to do than scan the internet looking for all posts, websites or livejournal entries attacking him. I don't think Jesse Jackson or Coca Cola is going to be looking for little stuff like that.

But, let's say CNN posts a story in which a source has said that rats are a key ingredient in making Coke ... well, then I guess Coca Cola would get some free space to counter that and say it isn't true. Well, I think that is only fair if they were not contacted for comment before the article was posted.

This is Europe not the USA though so perhaps they do not already have standard rules and ethics of Journalism that ensure they will at least make an effort to reach the other party for comment.

EDIT: Including half of your post was an accident. I hit the quote button to reply and then scrolled the message down so I would have room to type. Sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by Nyufrost on Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:11 pm

including half of my post but not quoting it makes it look very confussing... anyways...

The right to reply does not mean you have to include anything in advance so I don't think it would have any effect on books, newspapers, magazines and so on.

if you didn't have the means to publish a reply (i wouldn't, for example), i think this law is stating that you have to be giving a means to reply. also, that, imho, just goes to establish that the "right to reply" is already there. so why make a law about it? i think the fact that they are making a law about it suggests that they don't like the way it is. i mean, if a website doesn't like what you have on your website, they can just put up their own website countering it. this law, though, seems to be saying that you shouldn't have to do that - that if someone spends money to attack you that your defense shouldn't cost a dime.

Now, let's say you have attacked Rev. Jesse Jackson in a post here in which you made a number of false or ambiguous statements about him ... well, he would have the right to make a post to counter that -- assuming he has nothing better to do than scan the internet looking for all posts, websites or livejournal entries attacking him. I don't think Jesse Jackson or Coca Cola is going to be looking for little stuff like that.

this message board is supposed to be one that's open to everyone. not all message boards are like that. for example, if you have a gun control message board... people *go* to that board looking for bias. likewise, people go to web sites for bias. as for livejournal entries... livejournal is supposed to be *your* onliny diary - not someone elses. if someone wants to go attack someone else on livejournal, they can do it on their own.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:16 pm

I was not referring to this message board per se and I doubt the law even applies to message boards.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:41 pm

Well I dont think that EU has the right to censure stuff on the internet. Compainies that are US based arnt going to follow some crap that the EU puts out.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:57 pm

yeah... if one government makes a decission about the net, it effects everyone... no one government has authority over the net, either... or atleast shouldn't have authority over the net...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:14 pm

Ahhh ... I have just now read the story.

First of all, that is an "editorial" and not a "news article" and secondly, he is opining on something that has not even been made a law yet but is in a discussion stage.

Unless they have passed it since the editorial was posted? In that case, I would like to see a news story on it before I comment further.

But, IF it is as he claims it is, then yeah it would be pretty ridiculous so good thing it would only apply to Europe. :)
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Return to Twilight Zone