try to remember....

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

try to remember....

Postby Roadkill » Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:51 am

First of all, dont try to remember something on a movie or in a computer game or similar, as those have limited (and therefore easily duplicable) sounds.

Try to remember something in the past, and try to tie everysound from that memory in so it fits perfectly with that picture.

Try it with a memory from yesterday
Then with one from last week.
Then last month.
Then atleast 6 months ago.
Then a year.
Then a few years.

Describe how well you can tie the sounds in with your memory, or simply list them with one of these tagged to each time:
A) Easily (no problem)
B) With a little difficulty
c) With moderate difficulty
d) very difficult
e) impossible
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:55 am

Try it with a memory from yesterday

easily (no problem) - the hard part with this one is that there are so many things to chose from, heh. in this case, i remembered my cooking spaghetti.

Then with one from last week.

With moderate difficulty. in this case, i remembered my going to the store on wednesday...

Then last month.

With a little difficulty - the problem with this is that i don't really remember when it was - i just remember it happening. my memory of my moving into my appartment (which is what i remember the best, from last month) isn't tied down to any specific date - i have to actually remember the date, seperatly. for one, i'm visualizing what i was doing, and for the other one, i'm thinking about the time, reasoning it out... ie. it had to be before this, but after that. although in this case, i remember the specific date, but whatever, heh.

Then atleast 6 months ago.

With a little difficulty - i saw the two towers at tinsletown with my mom and her coworkers from IBM...

Then a year.

very difficult - i'm sure i can remember stuff that happened ~6 months ago, but... i just can't be sure what that stuff is, heh. for example, a while ago i got a call about my appartment while i was alone at wendy's eating / reading the newspaper.. i wrote it down on the paper i was readng, took the paper with me, and as i was walking back to my dorm, i saw someone in a computer science class of mine. i didn't say hi, though, because i was on the cell phone, at that point, talking to my mom about the other call i had just recieved - that call being about my appartment.

i remember that event very well, as well as others... i just have no clue when it happened, heh. now, i can logically deduce that it was more then 2 (maybe 3 months ago), but it wasn't 6 months ago, or a year... but that's just an example, heh. i trust the point has been made - that recalling an event and recalling when that event took place are two different things... atleast to me, although i assume it would be the same for everyone.

Then a few years.

With a little difficulty - my high school graduation...

something else to consider about these questions and the answers you may recieve... many of the events i remember only because they were out of the ordinary. i don't move into a new appartment every day, for example, heh. if i had been living at home for the past 6 months, not working, and only really doing regular things... it would be a lot harder for me. but not because my memory is really bad, persay, but just because nothing memorable took place.

another thing to consider... if you go back far enough, are you remembering the event itself, or are you remembering being told about the event? it is quite possible that you may have reintegrated stories your parents told you into your memory as fact, and might not really have been aware of it.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:53 pm

what about the sound? (that was the point of this) can you remember that event with sound tied in perfectly with that memory?
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:32 pm

oh, hehe.

well... now that you mention it... i don't really remember sound with any of those events... well, i remember the simmer of the meat when i was cooking the spaggheti, but that's about it, heh.

of course, as per an earlier point of mine, only those senses that are relevant to a memory are probably going to be utilized. for example... i can remember how a song sounds, but may not necessarily be able to remember what the CD looks like, or whatever. with my spaghetti example... i don't "remember" persay what it sounded like to have tomato dripping everywhere - probably because that just wasn't very critical to the memory.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: try to remember....

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:00 pm

Well, I'm not sure if I'm doing it like you describe, but I'll give it a try.

The one that actually comes to mind easily is from a few years ago so I will start in reverse order. And I will have to add the others later because I don't have time to do them all right now.

From a few years ago ... I guess I can remember my high school graduation quite clearly and easily by sound.

An overall hum/buzz of scores of voices all talking at once as we gathered outside the gym in preparation of entering for the ceremony.

The music of "Pomp and Circumstance" began and the voices all stopped as we filed in order into the gym and then the voice of the Principal as he opened the ceremony and some overall applause.

I remember the voices of several different people who spoke during the evening and also the announcement of each name (not that I remember each name but that I remember how it sounded).

Finally, thunderous applause from a gym full of proud parents and teachers and all the whoops and cheers of the graduates as we all flung our hats into the air. And, then just very sound buzz/hum of everyone in the gym talking excitedly at once as we all filed out again.

Furthermore, everytime I hear the "Pomp and Circumstance" music, I am reminded of my own graduation.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Return to Twilight Zone