on America's role in the world

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

on America's role in the world

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:49 pm

Europians often ask why america hasn't joined the world, and... it got me thinking... since when does Europe consitute the world? What about Asia, South America, and Africa? do they somehow not make up this world europian's speak of?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:56 am

I have not heard of the exact thing you are talking about but there are 7 continents that make up the world and Europe is but one of them. Surely, they realize this.

Do you perhaps think they mean something like "why doesn't America join the world in thinking this or that" or perhaps they are talking about some organization? :umm

Europeans --to generalize-- have always struck me as being a bit haughty so maybe they *do* think they are the only countries in the world??
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:58 pm

I have not heard of the exact thing you are talking about but there are 7 continents that make up the world and Europe is but one of them. Surely, they realize this.

i think they do realize this - they just think they're the only ones that matter... as for europe thinking the US should join the world... i've heard it a few times... it's also the title of some new book about the US's role in Iraq, etc:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

Do you perhaps think they mean something like "why doesn't America join the world in thinking this or that" or perhaps they are talking about some organization?

i'm not sure how that's any different. i mean, anyone who presumes to know what the world thinks is being arrogant, and... i dunno... it'd sorta be like the republicans saying that the democrates should join the US in embracing democratic ideals, which is a loaded statement, since the entire US doesn't embrace democrates.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Javafrost » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:46 am

I think the term is "Eurocentric thinking"? JMO, western civilization, including the US, has a tremendous amount of it.
There has been a lot of talk about the US being a loner with the Iraq war, but I can't understand that since there were over 40 countries signed on in support of it. ??
"Endeavor to persevere." -- Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josey Wales
Javafrost
Recruit

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:07 am

hehe - that's a nifty term! :)

eurocentric thinking, that is. pretty cool! :)

i think that sorta applies to what you said about the US being a loner, despite having the support of 40+ other countries...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:16 pm

ooh! i found a new example of eurocentric thinking!

it's a common critisicm of america that americans are ignorant - that american citizens are piss poor at geography, and that because europians aren't, europians are better...

well... we may stink at geography, but europians sure aren't very good at government, heh:

Many Europeans know so little about the EU that the convention's debates would mean nothing to them. A poll taken for Britain's Foreign Office in 2001 discovered that a quarter of Britons did not know that their country was actually a member of the European Union, and 7% thought that the United States was in it. In Germany, a founder member of the Union whose serious papers devote acres of space to EU affairs, another recent poll found that 31% of the public had never heard of the European Commission, the EU's most important institution

source: http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner ... asp#009754

i guess americans spend so much time thinking about themselves they don't know much about the world. likewise, i guess europeans fixate so much on america they don't know about themselves, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone