Is VooDoo a Religion?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Is VooDoo a Religion?

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:45 am

According to the government in Haiti, Voodoo is now an official form of religion and Voodoo priests are able to perform ceremonies --such as weddings-- that will now be official.

Most people of the world have come to think of voodoo as being synonymous with black magic and occultism in which strange rituals involving blood and sacrificed animals are used. Not to mention the visual imagery of sticking pins in voodoo dolls! O_O

HERE'S AN INFORMATIVE ARTICLE ON THE SUBJECT

What do you think? Should it be a religion? Or is it just a bunch of folklore and hocus pocus?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:55 am

Well, in response to your last line: Is there really a difference?
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Tetraforce » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:56 am

I think its hocus pocus, love potion #9 crap but just because its hocus pocus doesn't mean its not a religeon.
Its a small world, but somebody has to rule it...
Tetraforce
Traveler

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:16 am

So, then what makes something a religion and not a cult?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:19 pm

i think a cult is a religion that isn't socially accepted.
in the US, for example, voodoo doesn't seem to really be very socially accepted, so... while in haitti, voodoo may be acccepted enough to be a religion... i don't think it is in the US...

of course, while we're on the subject of what makes a religion a religion...

can athiesm be a religion?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:34 pm

Well, it doesn't meet the established definition of the word, so I would have to say no.
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:36 pm

Well first, let's get ourselves a good definition of religion. I'll take this from http://www.webster.com.

Main Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back -- more at RELY
Date: 13th century
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
- re·li·gion·less adjective

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, they use the word religous much in the definitions, so let's provide that as well:

Main Entry: 1re·li·gious
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French religieus, from Latin religiosus, from religio
1 : relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>
2 : of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances
3 a : scrupulously and conscientiously faithful b : FERVENT, ZEALOUS
- re·li·gious·ly adverb
- re·li·gious·ness noun

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, all of this seems mainly to point to religion being something that a person has faith in. So let's look that up:

Main Entry: 1faith
Pronunciation: 'fAth
Inflected Form(s): plural faiths /'fAths, sometimes 'fA[th]z/
Etymology: Middle English feith, from Old French feid, foi, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust -- more at BIDE
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs
synonym see BELIEF
- in faith : without doubt or question : VERILY

-------------------------------------------------------------

So, going just on these dictionary definitions, it would appear that religion is 2b of faith, that is: firm belief in something for which there is no proof : complete trust.

So Terrafrost, it would seem that atheism is thus the opposite of religion, in that it is not believing in something for which there is no proof. So, at least according to Merriam-Webster dictionary definitions, atheism isn't a religion.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Gigafrost » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:15 pm

Well, remember to take into account that there isn't any proof that God doesn't exist...

---------------------------------------------------------
Main Entry: athe·ism
Pronunciation: 'A-thE-"i-z&m
Etymology: Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
Date: 1546
1 archaic : UNGODLINESS, WICKEDNESS
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity
---------------------------------------------------------

Doctrine that there is no deity? There's no real proof that there isn't one, so would that also not be complete trust? Or is atheism somewhat different from that?

I'm just looking for clarification of these "blurred" areas...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:44 am

only according to the first definition of religion is belief in a god / supreme being necessary.

i mean... let's not forget that buddhism and taoism are athiestic.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:12 am

Not really ... Buddah is thought to be a supreme being as is Tao, in the mind of Taoists.

Aethism itself is the only form of atheism and as it does not satisty the main definition of having a common belief in any god, deity or supreme being then it is not a religion.
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:39 am

actually... Buddah is the *founder* of Buddhism... not their diety:

http://members.tripod.com/upasika/god.htm

and taoists believe that there is an ultimate force - not an ultimate god:

http://www2.thetemple.com/alt.philosoph ... aq.htm#God

Science searches for the ultimate force, also... they're trying to unify every force (weak, strong, electromagnetic, gravity) into one force. weinberg, iirc, has shown a relationship between the weak and electromagnetic forces...

just because science has (or rather, seeks) a ultimate force doesn't mean science is a religion...

and actually... i'll admit, hehe... i am kinda cheating to make these points - i'm looking at a court transcript of a trial about whether or not a some organization was a religion... the reason being so that they could apply for tax exempt status...

i've attached that transcript (it's not a very long read, either) :)
Attachments
religion.pdf
(471.4 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:52 pm

Science searches for the ultimate force, also... they're trying to unify every force (weak, strong, electromagnetic, gravity) into one force. weinberg, iirc, has shown a relationship between the weak and electromagnetic forces...

Umm.....Terra, weak and strong is refering to nuclear right?
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:23 pm

TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 pm

Umm... is it just me, or does that link seem to talk about the strong and weak forces which only really come into play in the nucleus of an atom, thus making it seem that they could be called nuclearforces?
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:36 pm

they could be called nuclear. likewise, they could be called atmoic. likewise, they could be called chocolate. they could be called whatever you want - people will only know what you're talking about, though, if refer to them by what they really are called :lila:
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Next

Return to Twilight Zone