Dragons

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Dragons

Postby OmegaFrost » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:59 am

Do you believe that they exsisted or not? I personally have heard lots of proof of it.

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:05 am

Well thats one of those "where the heck did the idea come from questions" imo. But dragons are in a lot of different stories around the world. Maybe they were left over from dinosaurs.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tetraforce » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:33 am

Most of the ideas about dragons came from the bible. It talks about mosters of the deep, water serpents. But thats just a basis. I heard the folklore of dragons and have the document relievel that mammoth bones are found near the place, suggestion maybe the locals seen the bones.

Go here if you want to study Draconology
http://www.colba.net/~tempest1/dragons.htm
Its a small world, but somebody has to rule it...
Tetraforce
Traveler

Postby OmegaFrost » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:55 pm

hmmmm... Thats a good sight now I have another source of dragon info thanks.

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby Dracofrost » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:54 am

Well, that really depends on what kind of dragons you are talking about, as, like you said, there are myths about them all over the world, but the thing is, all the myths are different. Sometimes they're stupid beasts, other times they are wise old ancient things that can talk, and blah blah. I'm not sure where the stories come from, but I'd be willing to believe that perhaps there existed things that could inspire stories... could be that there were things exactly as the stories describe (which would be pretty freaky but kinda cool, to (make that really cool, too)) or all the way to simple exageration of pythons or large lizards (komodo's perhaps?) or just thinking a crocodile or something with wings would be really scary and tough or something/ blah. I don't really know much on the subject, though it does intrest me. I mean, come on, I am Dracofrost :p and I was born in the year of the dragon... so I'll go look at the site. Thanks for posting it, Tetra :)
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby OmegaFrost » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:15 pm

The theory is that they are a very specialized species of dinosoars that survived the extinction long enough fo cave man to deal with them..... Theoretically they were so scary people thought they were smart, partially because they had really weird hypnotic powers..... Also they were really puny and stupid, the only part of them that actually was inpenetrable was the dragon mask which is also part of there mondo defense system its all really weird I recommend checking out "The flight of Dragons" in a near by library.

OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby Tetraforce » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:55 pm

I think the dragons or monsterous water serpants discribed in the bible are acountable by giant squids. A serpentine creature, seen at times to be multi-headed(tentacled) and redish in coloration.
Its a small world, but somebody has to rule it...
Tetraforce
Traveler

Postby Javafrost » Thu May 08, 2003 4:17 am

Speaking of reddish, tentacled things, here's an article about the new "Big Red" jellyfish found in the Pacific:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/05/07/MN182575.DTL

Whether dragons existed in 3D or not, they are sure important in the cumulative human psyche, imo.
"Endeavor to persevere." -- Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josey Wales
Javafrost
Recruit

Postby Evlfrost » Thu May 08, 2003 3:32 pm

Interesting link. Thanks for sharing that with us :thumbs:
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby BattleFrost » Mon May 12, 2003 6:34 pm

I got breaking news for ya'll.
There where dragons on the Earth O_O
But not the dragons you think of. They where the surviving dinasaurs and during the Middle Ages they were hunted down to extintion. They made many stories that were false like taking a princes. I beleive I read that they look more like their ancestors than the drawings you see today. ;)
Last edited by BattleFrost on Tue May 13, 2003 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Postby Raistlin » Mon May 12, 2003 8:29 pm

Dragons look so cool but I dont think they exsist.....
Raistlin
Heroic Guard

Postby BattleFrost » Tue May 13, 2003 4:36 pm

What makes you say that?
Do you beleive their hinding till we find them?
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Postby Raistlin » Tue May 13, 2003 5:26 pm

Cuz no one has ever seen one and my opinion is theyre not real! :p

they're too big to hide! :lila
Raistlin
Heroic Guard

Postby Some Unreg Punk » Wed May 14, 2003 4:13 pm

you guys are kidding me right?
your actually taking this seriously?
What better than playing in the snow?

Drinking beer with friends while playing in the snow.
http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/
Some Unreg Punk
Castle Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Wed May 14, 2003 4:52 pm

Well, about Dragons existing during the middle ages...

First of all, if they were ancestors of the dinosaurs and they existed during the middle ages I seriously doubt that they'd be limited to a small enough area to actually wipe them all out. Dinosaurs were living creatures that could breed. If ancestors survived to the middle ages there would have been lots of them. In addition, if you take into consideration that the chinese had stories about dragons too, that'd place the dinosaurs as being scattered all across the continent...

In addition, fossil records would exist showing the creatures to have still been alive, and there would be many many many of them because they'd be spread all across the continent.

We can also think about what made the dinosuars go extinct. Sure, there's the popular theory about the meteor (which I believe) but would that answer why so far creatures would be able to be so big? The suggested answer is that between the time of the dinosaurs and now something about the atmosphere (becoming more oxygen rich?) would cause the dinosaurs to suffocate.

Now here's the real question. Who do you believe? Do you believe the people finding the fossil records or the people providing evidence for dragons? If you believe in Ocham's Razor (that the simplest explanation is most likely the truer one) then I'd argue that the dragons not existing is more likely since the dragon theory leaves a bunch of holes to explain.

How does the information compare to another species that we caused to go extinct? Let's go with a simple on: the Dodo.

First of all, the Dodo was a flightless bird, making it easy prey. Second of all, the Dodo only lived on the island "Mauritius." Finally, even on this island it took nearly 100 years before they were extinct.

Now I'd like to look at Tigers. This would seem like a more fitting example, wouldn't it? Actually, as I look it seems that the problem isn't that all tigers were going to disappear but certain sub-species of tiger. I could be wrong about this, though, so links proving me wrong would be welcome.

So anyways, that's my thoughts on the matter...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Next

Return to Twilight Zone