Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Postby Tetraforce » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:35 am

This is my attempt to provide answers to the questions that I receive about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and about The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Christ. This includes, views and interpretations of scripture, history, and religious thought. Some of my comments and answers have not been approved by the Church or its leaders and could be utterly incorrect. Official LDS doctrine, that which members are expected to accept, is defined by the scriptures (the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and a few other items in the LDS canon) and by official, ratified pronouncements of the First Presidency of the Church. If my views disagree with those standards, I am clearly wrong. To avoid giant responce, take small, and to the point questions. Don't trying to shower me with mindless "anti-mormon" literature then, not listen to me when I tell him about it.
Its a small world, but somebody has to rule it...
Tetraforce
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:33 pm

i actually don't expect many responses...

mainly because... most people who would want to ask such questions may very well know the answers to all but the toughest ones...

it's a problem i know quiet well, actually... :\
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:59 pm

Hmmm ... well, I think the main question I have is this:

Is it the Mormons who believe only a certain number of people (something like 40) will make it to heaven?

If so, why do some people --who are only marginally religious and certainly not as "perfect" and without sin as those in generations gone by-- even bother to try? What keeps them interested when it seems they would never have a hope of being in the small group of 40?

(Now, this may not be the Mormons who think this, it may be the Jehovah's Witnesses ... I'm not sure.)
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby sonicflash » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:03 pm

My question is, who wrote the book of mormon? Was it anyone who also has something written in the Bible?
sonicflash
Recruit

Postby Tetraforce » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:39 pm

Your meaning the Jehovah's Witnesses who read in the Book of Revelations that only a couple of thousand "will be saved". What they've misundersood, is the Bible is talking about the Second Coming of Christ, thats the number of survivers after a the battle of Armageddon and after all the bad people burn away.

Who wrote the Book of Mormon... its a compilement many books written by many people through the times. It was Nephi who started writting it in 500 BC who lived in Jerusalem and God warned them to leave because the city was going to be distroied (by the Babylonians), and when there was a great war the curent prophet at the time, Mormon, abridged the books and told his son to bury it, with the Urim and Thummim so it could be translated. In the 1800s, a 14 year old boy Joseph Smith was told by God that he was to be a prophet and later and angle told him where the record was buried. Joseph Smith translated it.
Tetraforce
Traveler

Postby sonicflash » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:43 pm

Thanks
sonicflash
Recruit

Postby Tetraforce » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:14 am

There's loads more about. I taught things like the maneing of life to cloudology (study of heaven), healing people through blessings, modern day prophets. Surely you've heard critics, like some of the worst come from Southern Baptists, they saying we don't believe in Jesus when it isn't true amd stuff. Don't be afraid that you'd offend me, I'll answer anything I know that your curious about.
Tetraforce
Traveler

Postby Nyufrost » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:48 am

I am curious as to why Mormons feel they should have multiple wives all at once. I have heard this is so they can have as many children as possible with each wife so that instead of, say, 7 kids they can have 70. I mean, "go forth and multiply" might have been reasonable when the world was new but nowadays with the world overpopulation problems, it doesn't seem very applicable or sensible to just see how many children you can possibly have.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Tetraforce » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:26 pm

LDS scriptures (Jacob 2:30 in the Book of Mormon) say that polygamy is normally forbidden unless commanded by God. For the period of about 1840 to 1890, polygamy was practiced by a minority of members of the Church under direction of Church leaders, in response to revelation from God. I do not know the reasons why the Lord required this, but many assume that it was to strengthen the Church in numbers if not in faith during that time. Yes, it was a Biblical practice for a time, as evidenced by Abraham, Jacob, king David, Solomon, Gideon, and Jehoiada the priest.

In spite of its biblical foundations, polygamy certainly conflicts with modern European cultural views and was offensive and difficult for many Latter-day Saints, many of whom came from Puritan stock. It's a tough thing to understand and very easy to misunderstand. For example, Mark Twain assumed it was all about lust for women, and thought the Utah men were scoundrels - until he visited Utah and saw what the rough, tough pioneer women looked like. Then he praised Mormon men as being true saints :P

Well, there's something to that. Polygamy operated in some cases almost like a welfare system to provide for widows and single women among the Saints. For at this time in the 1800s, women couldn't oun property, hence they couldn't live on their oun.

But that was probably not why the practice was introduced. The real reasons have not been given, but polygamy is obviously a way to rapidly increase a population. The Book of Mormon teaches that polygamy is prohibited, unless the Lord commands it to "raise up seed unto me". Though practiced by a minority of LDS families during the time before its prohibition in 1890, the many descendants of those families have comprised the backbone of Church leadership for years, undoubtedly affected by the faith and sacrifice it required to live that difficult but revealed practice.

Today, polygamy is contrary to revealed marriage practices for the Church. Those who practice it are in direct opposition to what has been revealed and come out in open defiance of the Church, for which they are quickly excommunicated. Those few people who today practice polygamy are not members of the Church, and can be viewed as enemies of it.
Tetraforce
Traveler

Postby Nyufrost » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:43 pm

Ahhh ... that's all very interesting!

I have seen a couple of cases in the news where men have been arrested for having multiple wives and the excuse they give in court is that they are Mormon so I did not realize that it was considered an official no-no ... I just thought most modern Mormon men didn't do it because it wasn't generally accepted by society. :oops:
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Return to Twilight Zone