random MS product facts

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

random MS product facts

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:45 pm

so... I got bored, and looked at the EULA that came with Windows XP...

and appparently, after doing some reading, a liscense is a legal contract... one that

you "sign" by hitting the OK button... it's nice to know it's so fool proof. a check,

iirc, is a legal contract, too. if checks employeed the same "signing" method as

software does, heh... we'd be in for a whirlwind of pain, hehe.

anyways, i find this kinda interesting:

Code: Select all
    Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the
    Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to
    another end user.  The transfer has to include all
    component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and
    if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity.  The
    transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a
    consignment.  Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving
    the transferred Product must agree to all the EULA terms.

apparently when half price books sells any Windows product, they're breaking the law!

They're breaking the contract they agreed to when they purchased the software to resell!

(Half Price books only sells used software - ie. software that they bought)

here's an interesting link on licensing:
http://jurfak.spb.ru/document/diplom/20 ... .2.2.2.htm

and an interesting link on upcomming modifcations to the EULA, by MS:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/04/ ... ipe_1.html

apparently, companies have to pay for the license even after they sell the computer that

the license is intended for. also, MS doesn't have to provide assistance even if the

license has been payed up. atleast these modifications seem to be for companies only,

atm :)

you can read your own EULA here:
C:\windows\system32\eula.txt
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:35 pm

Personally, I really dislike what Microsoft "sneaks" into those contracts. Some of them are illegal...the one where it gives "Microsoft permission to free access to the computer" made it where a guy couldn't update the medical computer because it was illegal, but he couldn't leave it un-updated (and vulnerable to internet attacks) because it would be illegal.

Yeah, if companies go to hell when they die, then Microsoft is first in line.

So...Half Price books is buing used windows software to resell, right? If they're not paying for the liscence, though, then I'm not sure if they're bounded by that contract...hmmm...but I'm no lawyer, and I don't work for Half-Price books, and if it was up to Microsoft they'd sue Half Price books dry...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:51 pm

Does half price books use the software before they sell it? Or do they buy it from people who do use it?
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:16 pm

Personally, I really dislike what Microsoft "sneaks" into those contracts. Some of them are illegal...the one where it gives "Microsoft permission to free access to the computer" made it where a guy couldn't update the medical computer because it was illegal, but he couldn't leave it un-updated (and vulnerable to internet attacks) because it would be illegal.

well... the part about MS modifying the EULA is annoying, but... the law that says corporations *must* keep their computers up to date is the real problem here, imho.

So...Half Price books is buing used windows software to resell, right? If they're not paying for the liscence, though, then I'm not sure if they're bounded by that contract...hmmm...but I'm no lawyer, and I don't work for Half-Price books, and if it was up to Microsoft they'd sue Half Price books dry...

not that i'm a legal expert either, but... afaik, the license and the software are one and the same. although thinking about it, i'm not sure Half Price Books would qualify as and "end user" either... i think what Evl said is what makes someone and "end user"...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:31 pm

well... the part about MS modifying the EULA is annoying, but... the law that says corporations *must* keep their computers up to date is the real problem here, imho.

But you see, the reason they're legally supposed to update is because it's illegal for people to gain access without proper permission to medical data, and they're supposed to keep that data private, so they're supposed to close the holes in windows, but if the update to do it gives Microsoft legal permission to view them, then they're screwed...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:07 am

Well ... I see what you're saying, Giga but why would Microsoft be interested in viewing medical records? I think they only care about finding illegal software and pirated music and movies which ---I assume--- they can do with some sort of scan thing and aren't just having an individual going snooping through computers viewing medical records.

While I think it is valuable to doctors to be able to have instant access to such information, I think it is doubly important that the information be secure from people who have no business seeing it.

This would include nosy friends, neighbors, coworkers, the media, online pals and enemies of all sorts.

So, again, I think the biggest concern would be to keep the records secure and not to worry about whether Microsoft was going to scan your computer for illegal applications.

One might assume that not too many hospitals, doctors or medical facilities are running pirated software on their systems and so it shouldn't really matter.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:06 pm

But the problem isn't what microsoft would *actually* do, it's that Microsoft is attempting to gain complete legal control of the system and their rights to go through it, regardless of if it's an automatic scan or whatever.

They can't give that right away by our own legal system...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:40 pm

But you see, the reason they're legally supposed to update is because it's illegal for people to gain access without proper permission to medical data, and they're supposed to keep that data private, so they're supposed to close the holes in windows, but if the update to do it gives Microsoft legal permission to view them, then they're screwed...

there are other ways to keep a computer secure, other than by updating the OS - ie. installing a firewall. some of the biggest exploits in windows can be reduced to a crawl with the presence of a firewall.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:28 pm

What laws are you referring to, Giga?

I thought that it was passed into law that "policeware" could be used in certain instances hence the big "stop policeware" campaigns.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:37 pm

policeware only applies in certain instances, like you said... what giga is talking about applies all the time... i actually read about it myself a long time ago... i just don't remember where anymore, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:49 pm

It seems to me that Microsoft wouldn't be doing it if it were illegal but then what do I know.

So, again, what laws are you specifically referring to that are being broken?
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:34 pm

Well, I was reading another web site that was talking about it, but anywho, I found this site that has information about Medical Record Policies. I'll try looking at it some...

http://www.epic.org/privacy/medical/

And this site just talks about how your medical information gets out...

http://www.hep-c-alert.org/links/medprivacy.html
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:50 pm

It seems to me that Microsoft wouldn't be doing it if it were illegal but then what do I know.

It seems to me Enron wouldn't be doing certain things if they were illegal but then what do I know :lila:

and also, i think big corporations like microsoft take advantage and exploit gray areas - things that are quasi-legal. i'm sure there's some legal presidence somewhere that microsoft can use to back this kind of thing up...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:27 am

Thanks for the links Giga .... I have read them and really fail to see what the heck they have to do with Microsoft, though. :huh

Those links seem to deal more with how your medical records are available to insurance companies, employers and government agencies.

I think insurance companies and government agencies should probably have access to this information but not employers, credit reporting agencies, Microsoft, private investigators or snoopy individuals just out to cause strife.
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Some Unreg Punk » Mon May 12, 2003 6:57 am

Nyu I don't think it's illegal. If it ever went to court, I'm sure MS would be able to back it up since the laws concerning what they are doing is vague. One judge may think they are in violation of the laws but another may not think so.

wait, you know this.
What better than playing in the snow?

Drinking beer with friends while playing in the snow.
http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/
Some Unreg Punk
Castle Guard

Next

Return to Twilight Zone