Supporing the troops

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Supporing the troops

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:09 pm

in a local newspaper, someone submitted this letter...

I normally am quiet about my political views and often opt to simply listen as others have it out rather than interject any of my own thoughts. However, I think it is absolutly ludicrous for people to say that they can go out and protest yet simultaneously support the troops. One example of the fallacy of this argument is that the American flag and signs saying "support our troops" are now being construed as symbols of being pro-war. Why are the only pro-war people pro-America and supportive of our troops?
It is no wonder that the protestors have been labeled as anti-American when they shun the most recognized symbol of our country. I cried many tears when my brother, a Marine Corps Corporal, was sent to fight. However, it pains me a thousand times more when I read the e-mail I received from him a week ago (right before they headed to an "undisclosed location") saying that he and his fellow soldiers can't understand why everyone back home hates them and their cause.
If you are protesting someone's actions and their cause, then for all intents and purposes and as far as they are concerned, you are effectivly protesting the person. Now, I am not saying you don't have the irght to protest, but just accept responsibility for the negative impact oyour actions has on our young men and women risking their lives and fighting for our country

and... all in all, i STRONGLY disagree with this letter... this war is NOT the soldiers war - it is bushes war. the soldiers are just following orders. if anti-war protestors were to blame them for the war, then they'd have to blame themselves for the war, as they simply *live* in this country.

i mean, axiom (i forget what name he uses on this board) is a soldier, yet i am told that he himself does not support the war. so how is protesting the war attacking him? how is it attacking soldiers?

i think some war protestors may sorta tarnish their cause, when they become too... extremist in their views, and too... militant in their protests, but... people like the person who wrote this letter certainly are not helping. rather, imho, they *encourage* anti-war protestors.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:19 pm

Well that guy is a clear cut case of what bush is trying to do. Bush is trying to make everyone think that we are all in this together wether we like it or not. In his opinion this is america's war.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:34 pm

Well, I disagree with you both. :)

It's no more "Bush's War" than it is "Tony Blair's War" to start with.

Secondly, from all the reading I have done and things I have heard, the *main* difference in the morale of US troops in the Vietnam War and previous wars was that the WWI and II vets came home to flag-waving cheering people and were honored with parades and considered heroes while the Vietnam vets returned home to riots, protests and attacks on them. This is the same thing that is happening now and it does indeed reduce troop morale to have their countrymen violently rioting rather than being supportive.

It doesn't matter if Axiom is pro-war or anti-war, he and other soldiers need to see the support and appreciation to give them the morale they need to get through the situation. Think about it .... anyone is going to do better when their morale is high than when it is low ... and, in this case, could mean the difference in life and death.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:18 pm

This is the same thing that is happening now and it does indeed reduce troop morale to have their countrymen violently rioting rather than being supportive.

to be fair, *none* of the troops have returned home, yet. and while people protested the war, I've never heard of people protesting the end of it, and the people who fought in it. but that said, even if *some* anti-war people *do* blame the troops personally, that doesn't mean *all* anti-war protestors do. in fact, such conclusions are logically fallacious. further, the writer of the letter was addressing all anti-war people - not just some of them.

It doesn't matter if Axiom is pro-war or anti-war, he and other soldiers need to see the support and appreciation to give them the morale they need to get through the situation. Think about it .... anyone is going to do better when their morale is high than when it is low ... and, in this case, could mean the difference in life and death.

that's just it - *many* anti-war people *do* support the troops. they *don't* want the troops lives put at risk, needlessly.

further... i would imagine that a *pure* anti-war person *would* support the troops being in Iraq. they would want them all to die. they would want the US to suffer a *humiliating* *crushing* defeat that would make the US reconsider *all* invasions - even those that *seem* easy...

BUT... i've not heard a *single* anti-war protestor take that kind of stance.

IF war protestors don't care about the troops lives, then why do you think they haven't taken that stance?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Fri May 02, 2003 10:14 pm

I didn't reply to your above post because it relies on "technical" debate techniques to try and win an argument that are classroom learned and I have not taken Philosophy classes so I think it's a bit underhanded.

Anyways, I just wanted to post that I am glad to see that the returning US troops are receiving such hearty and enthusiastic welcomes .... support from home --so I have heard-- is a major morale booster. So, I suppose, was winning the war.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Sat May 03, 2003 5:11 am

I didn't reply to your above post because it relies on "technical" debate techniques to try and win an argument that are classroom learned and I have not taken Philosophy classes so I think it's a bit underhanded.

i think only one tiny sentance could really be seen as using "technical" debate techniques, and i don't think that sentance played a very important part, but... whatever, heh.

i'm glad the troops are returning home safely, too :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone