names of POW's

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

names of POW's

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:48 am

i was looking on some news article and it said that some general was really upset that iraq made video's of their POW's... the reason being that he said it violated the geneva convention... i was thinking about it, and... i really didn't understand it... i mean, video tapes of soldiers would be *proof* that the soldiers were ok, wouldn't it? but the flip side is... if you have an oppressive dictator, and you made a video tape in which the POW's said their name, then the dictator might kill the families of the POW's, assuming that hte POW's surrendered, or were traitors, or sometihng...

so on one hand, video tapes of them saying their names is a good idea, but on the other... who knows... so watcha think? do ya'll agree with the geneva convention that video tapes of POW's is a bad thing?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:27 am

I'm not sure, but the Iraq video tape was more than just showing them...it was showing them being killed and tortured...or already killed execution-style...

I think that the geneva convention doesn't take into case the situation *where* you're showing the enemy that captives are being treated okay...but ah well. I think it was a big mistake to respond with our own POW video... (one with soldiers being marched, not torture and killing, mind you)
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

The video of our soldiers.

Postby swimdude » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:44 pm

The fact that they said his name isn't that big but the thing is pres. just cares that they treat the POW's humai
nly
swimdude
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Sat May 03, 2003 5:17 am

i found the part of the geneva convention that says that video tapes are permitted (in so many words):

"shall at all times be humanely treated, and shall be protected especially against all acts of violence or threats thereof and against insults and public curiosity".

http://www.lawofwar.org/geneva_civilians_art_27.htm
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone