US Soldiers - valued or not

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

does the US care for its troops?

yes
100%
no
No votes

Total votes : 2

US Soldiers - valued or not

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:45 am

so... do you think the US cares about its soldiers or not?

on one hand, each ground soldier carries on him thousands of dollars worth of equipment... air force people have around them millions of dollars of equipment... so... even if they didn't care abotu the soldiers, the fact that they didn't want to loose a lot of money would make it seem like they would... since they wouldnt throw around their troops like cannon fodder, or whatever...

however... on the other hand, US troops (as i understand it) don't get very good benefits, aren't payed all that well, and the benefits to their families are even less, if they die... so all that would suggest they don't care about their soldiers, and could throw them around like cannon fodder, or whatever...

so watcha think?

i haven't voted, 'cause i admit... i don't know much about this, hehe :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:18 am

Well, even if they aren't well payed, I don't believe they are valueless to the point of being used as cannon-fodder. Besides, low casualty counts of our soldiers are good for public relations and support of a war, and I'm sure that most if not all military officers realize that if some random geek like me can.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:24 am

if joining the army meant certain death, no one would want to join it. people would flee the country to avoid joining it, or perhapes kill themselves before they would go through "training" just to die. parents wouldn't want to send their kids off to die, and... overall, moral would just be very low...

however... watching shows like Saving Private Ryan, in which it seems that the main strategy was too take the shore (Normandie) by giving the enemy so many targets that they couldn't possibly kill them all... bah. i imagine moral was pretty low durring ww2. and lets not forget about korea or vietnam. the us made no headway, and just ended up losing countless lives (it'd be interesting to see statistics on this). so anyways, it seems like the US has used troops as cannon-fodder before... and may very well do so again...

although the battle of mogadishu (the basis of black hawk down) is pretty inspiring - and sorta contrasts sharply from vietnam and korea. the fact that they would go on a rescue mission to rescue people they didn't even know where alive - or just to recover their bodies... and only suffering 7 (iirc) casualties in the end... black hawk down probably doubles as a very effective recruitment film, heh.

i just wonder if the battle of mogadishu is typical of modern battles...

as far as iraq is concerned... well... compared with the battle of mogadishu and d-day, iraq is nothing. or atleast it hasn't been much of anything thus far. even if the army was used as cannon fodder, we probably wouldn't know, heh. i mean, i was reading on foxnews.com the other day that iraqi soldiers had surrendered to, of all people, reporters!
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:33 am

I have never heard that morale was low during WWII ... in fact, I have heard the opposite. I have heard in was low during the Vietnam War because of all the idiot protesters and it seemed they had no backing from home.

Also, keep in mind, there is a big difference in attitude between someone who is patriotic and enlists in the military because he wants to serve his country even if it means death and in someone sitting around complaining about the military and the country all the time. Guys who are drafted aren't going to be necessarily as gung-ho as the ones who enlisted voluntarily.

And, of those drafted, there are those who will stand up and rise to the challenge no matter how afraid they are and then there are those true cowards who will run off to Canada. Those are the ones who usually sit around bad mouthing the country and causing low morale for the troops anyway so why don't they just move out of the country regardless of whether there is draft? Ya know? :)
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:55 am

well... i do object to you refering to protestors as idiot protestors. *some* protestors may be idiots, but not all. likewise, *some* white people may be racist and hate blacks, but... that doesn't mean all do... now, i don't know if you actually mean all protestors are idiots, or whatever, but... i just wanted to make it clear that i don't think *all* war protestors are idiots :)

as for your other two paragraphs... good points :)

also... death statistics for the varrious wars:

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstatx.htm
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:13 pm

Well, I think that there are various ways of interpretting the word idiot, which may --or may not-- be related to the dictionary definition.

And, IMO, people who hold peaceful demonstrations are not idiots but people who partake in out-of-hand protests and shout "Give Peace a Chance" and "Make Love not War" while lobbing bricks at the police and otherwise causing damage and disruption to other peoples' property and peace, are idiots.

And, feel free to replace the word idiots with jerks, jackasses, or perhaps something stronger. :)
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:06 pm

oh, hehe... i guess we're in agreement then about "idiot protestors", hehe :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone