degrees in the fine arts

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

degrees in the fine arts

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:07 am

here are my thoughts on fine arts degrees :):

if you're going to make it big in the fine arts, you're going to do it whether
or not you have a degree. if you're not going to make it big in the fine arts, then you're not going to be making it at all, and at that point, it becomes not much better than a hobby. that's why i think people should really consider going into something that they actually can make it with a degree.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby OmegaFrost » Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:04 pm

Actually taking an art degree does help because A.) The same reason any other degree helps people just plain think you are better with a degree. b.) The other reason any other degree helps this teaches you new styles and can greatly help in developing this skill from a raw talent to an art form.

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:37 pm

A.) The same reason any other degree helps people just plain think you are better with a degree.

if you're just getting a degree just to have one... why not get a degree in something that'll actually earn you more money than just being a manager at a store?

b.) The other reason any other degree helps this teaches you new styles and can greatly help in developing this skill from a raw talent to an art form.

i suppose that's true... although i think for the most part, if you had raw talent, it would turn itself into an art form, lest it not be raw talent... but... i don't think there's a way to argue for that, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby OmegaFrost » Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:38 pm

what I meant by A is that people will think the art is better by a the owner of an art degree.

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:52 pm

so you're saying that you think that people will think someone's art is better if they have a degree?

if so, i beg to differ... the fact that britney spears doesn't have a degree in music isn't what people base their opinions on - people either like britney spears because they like her music, or they don't. same with eminem. no one's looking at their education and their background. people aren't going to decide what they like based on what some stranger said (a stranger gave them the degree). if they like them better than britney spears but less than madona, them having a degree will not make them move up or down.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby OmegaFrost » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:45 pm

Actually I have seen were the paintings by people with degrees are marked up higher than those without.

OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:55 pm

anyone can set whatever price they want to on a painting. most people who went to college and got degrees have a much better... appreciation of money than those who didn't. and plus, they are probably more aware of where the profit maximizing level is.

also, i am confident that a lot of people buy paintings for the sole purpose of speculating. they buy a lot of cheap paintings, hoping they can catch the next picasso or van gogh early on. however, that said, they alone don't have the power *to* make someone the next van gogh. so... i don't think paintings would be superfiously marked up by very much, if at all, because someone had a college degree. so... like i was saying in my first post... if you're not going to make it big in fine arts, you're not going to make it at all. people with degrees may be doing better than people without, but not by much - not enough to consitute them doing well, by a long shot.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:55 pm

I belive that with art, people judge soley on your work not on whatever degree you might have. However a fine arts degree is a college degree and that might be able to get them a job until their own work can support them.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Return to Twilight Zone