Christian Private High School threatens suspension...

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Christian Private High School threatens suspension...

Postby Rapscallion » Sat May 09, 2009 2:57 pm

For those of you who don't have Yahoo as your homepage, this is posted on it. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090508/ap_ ... dance_flap
Apparently, some fundamentalist Baptist private school is threatening one its seniors to delay his diploma and suspend him if he goes to his girlfriend's prom at a public high school. I understand that private schools press their religious beliefs onto their students, but the community's church should not have that much influence among the school committee. It's cool if the school specifically tries to teach the religion to the students, but this is just ridiculous. His heathen lifestyle outside of school should not be any business of theirs, unless he brings it up to them. But then again, I'm a Roman Catholic who's attended public schools all my life, so I probably shouldn't have a say in this.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: Christian Private High School threatens suspension...

Postby TerraFrost » Wed May 13, 2009 2:26 am

Banning dancing, kissing, rock music, and hand holding... what's next? Maybe women should wear hijabs and should never ever be with a man who is not related to them by blood!

If, as Bush asserted, the Middle East hates us because of our freedom, I guess they're best buds with that high school.

That said, I will concede that being flogged dozens of times over is a far cry from being suspended from school. Plus, the bad press this school is getting is liable to hurt the school more than it hurts the guy graduating.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: Christian Private High School threatens suspension...

Postby Rapscallion » Wed May 13, 2009 5:23 am

I agree, but it's never right to delay somebody's graduation from high school or college for reasons as weak and petty as this.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone