AIDS Cure Myth

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

AIDS Cure Myth

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:40 am

WARNING: This is really shocking!

This is rather disturbing and disgusting! But, apparently, there is a myth in South Africa that having sexual intercourse with a virgin will cure AIDS and is causing many young girls to be raped and even gang raped .... which actually makes no sense at all. Worst of all ... they seem to think the younger the virgin the more potent the cure which leads to babies being raped!!! That is just revolting! :puke
The spread of AIDS in Africa is startling and the debris in the lives of its people is heartbreaking. Jeffrey Bartholet said in the 1/17/2000 issue of Newsweek that 85 percent of the world's deaths from AIDS in 1999 were in Africa. The life expectancy in some African countries is decreasing alarmingly. In the same issue, a different article said there are millions of orphans in Africa whose parents have died of aids and that in Sub-Sahara Africa, 6,000 men and women are dying each day of AIDS.

Added to that, however, is the rumor in parts of Africa, including large portions of South Africa, that having sex with a virgin will cleanse a male of AIDS. The Johannesburg city council conducted a three-year study of about 28,000 men. They found that 1 in 5 believed in the virgin-AIDS cure. The fallout from that is a rise in assaults of women and children, some of whom contract AIDS themselves.

Of particular alarm has been the rise in infant rapes. Not all researchers blame that on the virgin-AIDS cure myth, but they believe it has contributed to it. The rape of the nine-month-old by six men in Upington at the end of 2001 enraged many South Africans. That was followed by the discovery of a seven-month-old who had been raped and left for dead in a suburb of Capetown in November, 2001. There have been other high profile cases since.

The eRumor asks readers to add their names to an email petition to protest the closing down of South Africa's Child Protection Unit, but South Africa's Minister of Safety and Security, Steve Tshwete, says the unit is not being closed. That rumor got started in mid-2001 when a parliamentary committee convened to discuss the unit and observers though it meant the unit was in trouble.

Christina Jordaan, a social worker for the Department of Education in South Africa, says there is a companion myth to the virgin-AIDS cure that says that if a girl has her hymen intact, she will not contract AIDS (CBS Healthwatch, 10/2000)

Complicating the problem in South Africa is a revival of an old Zulu system of virginity testing. According to the July, 1999 issue of the AIDS Information Newsletter, tens of thousands of young people in South Africa are participating in the practice in which an adult examines a girl for evidence of virginity. Proponents say it promotes and honors abstinence, which helps cut down on sexual activity, pregnancy, and disease. Opponents say it's like advertising the virgins to potential perpetrators. The girls who pass the test get white stars on their foreheads and a certificate of virginity.

The belief in the virgin-AIDS cure is not restricted to Africa. According to a Knight-Ridder report from Mark McDonald in January of 2000, it is also helping fuel an increase in child prostitution in Cambodia. McDonald says there are many Asian men who believe that having sex with a virgin will cleanse their AIDS. The same is true for India, according to the Fall, 1995 Harvard AIDS Review, and Jamaica, according to the Ministry of Health in Jamaica. The belief in curing AIDS by having sex with a virgin is apparently an outgrowth of a long-standing belief in many cultures in the restorative and healing powers of virgins and having sex with virgins.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Kaos » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:29 pm

...omg, why would anyone think that raping innocent virgins will 'cleanse' them from AID's? :x

someone needs to smack them upside their head and educate them about what their doing ¬_¬ which is just spreading the disease by force v_v

Kaos v.2 Chim Edition
Kaos
Heroic Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:38 pm

Urgh thats discusting! And the thing about babies...

*Goes and barfs* :puke
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Kaos » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:01 pm

oh God i know >_>

i especially was mad at the 7month old that was raped and left to die...*wants to hurt someone*

Kaos v.2 Chim Edition
Kaos
Heroic Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:17 pm

It's very terrible. These people seem to have absolutely no idea what causes AIDS...although they seem to know perfectly well how to get it. They're most likely even breaking moral laws in their own communities (assumption, that's why it's a might) and that makes it bad regardless of how immoral we consider it. Of course, by our moral standard I believe few would argue I'm wrong by saying these acts are evil. They seem more like they're making an excuse....*shudder* It's not like they'll walk around afterwards, puffing their chest and saying "hey! look at me! I don't have AIDs!" or something...it'll just turn out they still have it, no?

It seems to me that if we're going to stop the spread of AIDs that we're going to have to do more than just make drugs to do it. We're definately going to have to change and maybe force morals upon people if we're even going to have a chance in hell of succeeding.

*moment of silence for those poor individuals whose lives have become hell due to stupid actions like these*
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:52 pm

i know someone, from south africa, living in the US on a VISA (actually, their entire family is in the US), and according to them, women try to hold off on losing their virginity until they're married, because of the AIDS problem... i mean, there's no guarantee that the person you're with atm will be the person you'll be with for life... so if you have sex before you get married, there's a possibility that you'll end up having sex with multiple partners, which is pretty much how AIDS gets spread.

of course, they've lived in the US for a few years on their VISA, but... time is running out. they've tried to get US citizenship, but... unless you marry a US citizen, or a born one, US citizenship is *very* hard to get, from my understanding.

that, and the questions they ask for citizenship tests... most people who've lived in the US their whole *life* couldn't get half of those answers...

anyways...

The eRumor asks readers to add their names to an email petition to protest the closing down of South Africa's Child Protection Unit, but South Africa's Minister of Safety and Security, Steve Tshwete, says the unit is not being closed. That rumor got started in mid-2001 when a parliamentary committee convened to discuss the unit and observers though it meant the unit was in trouble.

why would a rumor encouraging people to rape ultra young virgins encourage people to protest the closing of a child protection agency? wouldn't they, themselves, want it closed, so that they could rape them that much more?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:39 am

eRumor is a group of concerned citizens who were trying to help, I believe. ;)

Well, holding off losing your virginity until you are married is all good but there is certainly no guarnatee your partner won't run around on you on the sly and still pick up AIDS and transmit it to you. Especially if they are uneducated and are not aware of how they even get it to begin with.

I think education is the key. They need to learn to practice safe sex and they need to learn that rape is a crime and not a cure.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:55 am

eRumor is a group of concerned citizens who were trying to help, I believe.

oh, hehe. not that i could tell from the article, but i thought it was the latest thing to have an "e" added to it to spice it up, heh. sorta like... eCommerce, and e, ummmm.... eMail, hehe. my minds drawing a blank right now :)

Well, holding off losing your virginity until you are married is all good but there is certainly no guarnatee your partner won't run around on you on the sly and still pick up AIDS and transmit it to you. Especially if they are uneducated and are not aware of how they even get it to begin with.

no, there isn't, but... someone has to start somewhere, don't they?

I think education is the key. They need to learn to practice safe sex and they need to learn that rape is a crime and not a cure.

i'm not 100% sure education would help in this instance... not that i speak from personal experience, but i'd speculate that people those who committ the rapes are doing so more out of desperation. they are so desperate to live that they would do anything.

on the tv show babylon 5, there's a saying... if you're falling off a cliff, you might as well try to fly... i would think that is also sorta the attitude of these people.

in the us, if you're close to death, i think the common thing to do is to spend time with your family... but in south africa, all their family may be dead... or sometihng... i dunno...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone