belittling good grades

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

belittling good grades

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:32 am

i'm often rather critical of school, and, whenever i get a chance, i'll belittle good grades and test scores. it's occurred to me recently, though, that others might feel belittled, when i do such things. this is not my intention, nor do i suspect it to be the intention of anyone who does it. rather, i suspect that those who belittle grades the most do so because they, themselves, get bad grades - that they need to believe that grades are unimportant and that they can still succeed in life, despite them. i mean, what's the point of life if that which you believed decided ones place in life was something that you were bad at?

i don't believe grades are all that important and i can make plenty an argument (hopeully good ones, too) for why they aren't, however, that doesn't mean that those who do get good grades shouldn't take pride in them. i mean, if grades were the only thing they had going for them, then for them to believe what those who would belittle good grades say would be to embrace what those with bad grades are trying to escape - a bleak future.

pursuant to this, i think that those who attack the virtues of good grades ought to be seen in the same light as those who defend the virtues of good grades - as people who are just defending themselves and their future.

i wonder how many other seemingly diametrically opposed positions are really just two sides of the same coin, just as i've sorta reduced this down to.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:01 am

Frankly, I had bad grades. But my personal bias aside, from all the experience i've had since school ended, from the experiences of my friends and those i've talked to, all that grades measure is one's ability to perform in school. Friends who had lackluster grades are now doing beautifully in careers they enjoy, others who had amazing grades are now ennui-filled and questioning their own motivation for devoting years of their life to further schooling. Of course, plenty of people with straight-A's will do well, and many of those who flunked out or barely scraped through are going to be unhappy as well. I think that grades are largely irrelevant to performance in life, but those who think that they have any real bearing on their future happiness are likely to be the worst shocked.

As for people whose only goal or only asset is their grades, such people do not deserve your concern. Indeed, a feeling of belittlement or inferiority may have a positive effect in the long term, causing them to cast a realistic glance at their priorities.

Just my muddled contribution.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby Belkana » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:04 am

I think part of it is the grading system. The only thing we are actually tested on is memory. Every single test and exam I've ever had is just spewing out memorized facts, scentences, dates, formulas etc.

You can suceed without high grades, even though I do not know so persoanlly. Grades should be considered an achievement, it helps learning seem worthwhile to younger students. However the down side is again when you get that small group of overachievers who sometimes intentionally (and sometimes uninetntionally) intimidate students who do not reach the same standards. I really don't think we can make everyone happy. They are good and bad in ways, I don't think it's possible to take just one side. It seems to me it's really a bunch of small issues tied together.
Moo. Meow.
Belkana
Traveler

Re: belittling good grades

Postby guenhwyvar7373 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:06 pm

I think that grades aren't necessarily that important. Yes, we're trained from a very early age to want to do well. But these things, like writing a paper analyzing something written 300 years before you were born- they don't really measure your worth. I know that most people at the top of the class tend to snub or look down on others, but this isn't right. :no Many of my friends at the bottom of the class have just as much potential and creativity as others- more, in fact, because they're trying much harder than those at the top of the class. I think grades should be, at least in part, based on effort, creativity, and attitude.

But hey, I'm still a teen. Nobody listens to you until you're at least 30. I mean in the big scope. Telling your teacher what to do... :trout
Look! A distraction!
guenhwyvar7373
Traveler

Return to Twilight Zone