Balrog

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:12 pm

Gandalf was actually was more of a dream walker in valinor. He would come to elves in their dreams and guide them.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:23 am

After being driven from Mirkwood the Necromancer eventually goes back to Mordor and begins preparing for events in Lord of the Rings. In any case the main role of the Istari is to fight the forces of Sauron. That's why it's such a shock when Saruman turns.

although i haven't read the lord of the rings in years, i thought sauron left his role as the necromancer of mirkwird because he didn't have the power, there, that he could have in mordor...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby BattleFrost » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:20 pm

What has changed in Gandolf when he came back from the dead. More wisdom and power?
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Postby Tar-Herunole » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:34 am

Looks like. probably also reagined energies after being in valinor
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Lord Reefer » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:24 pm

BattleFrost wrote:What has changed in Gandolf when he came back from the dead. More wisdom and power?

The order is arranged that wizards of different colour have different powers.
Saruman the White was head of the order and the most powerful (higher in Valinorean stature). When Gandalf returns he has become white and is as powerful as Saruman. Thats why Saruman is so shocked when Gandalf banishes him from Theodin's body.

Its hard to know about the other colours. Its said that both Blue wizards were most likely destroyed by Sauron although little is known of them. Radagast the Brown is said to be far less powerful than the others but he goes a bit funny and shys away from his duties, although still remains friends with Gandalf. But it is said that each has different powers and inclinations and were chosen by the Valar with this in mind.

although i haven't read the lord of the rings in years, i thought sauron left his role as the necromancer of mirkwird because he didn't have the power, there, that he could have in mordor...

It's mentioned breifly at the end of the Hobbit:

"It appeared that Gandalf had been to a great council of the white wizards, master of lore and good magic; and that they had at last driven the Necromancer from his dark hold in the south of Mirkwood.
'Ere long now,' Gandalf was saying, 'the forest will grow somewhat more wholesome. The north will be freed from that horror for many long years, I hope. Yet I wish he were banished from the world !' "
Lord Reefer
Traveler

Postby BattleFrost » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:16 pm

How did Sauron get such high rank in the few years b/c he use to be evil.
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:29 pm

It's mentioned breifly at the end of the Hobbit:

"It appeared that Gandalf had been to a great council of the white wizards, master of lore and good magic; and that they had at last driven the Necromancer from his dark hold in the south of Mirkwood.
'Ere long now,' Gandalf was saying, 'the forest will grow somewhat more wholesome. The north will be freed from that horror for many long years, I hope. Yet I wish he were banished from the world !' "

hmmm - thanks for the quote! :)

How did Sauron get such high rank in the few years b/c he use to be evil.

i'm not 100% sure i'm understanding your question, but... sauron has, with one small exception, always been evil. he accumulated power, after his downfall to the last alliance, through excersizing patience, misdirection, because he had some powerful servants who yet lived (the nazgul), and probably because of some other stuff, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:52 pm

BattleFrost wrote:How did Sauron get such high rank in the few years b/c he use to be evil.

Can you rephrase or extend the question? I also don't understand it fully
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby BattleFrost » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:03 pm

Sorry I meant to say How did Saruman get so high in ranks, higher than Gandolf even though he was an evil Necromancer. I’m talking about how he went from loosing all his powers and gaining a lot back in a short period of time. Even higher than Gandolf, who was the one who helped stopped him in the first place?
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Postby Tar-Herunole » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:18 am

oh! It was Sauron who was the Necromancer, not Saruman!

Saruman was always the wisest and most powerful of the Istari, and good indeed... only he grow tired of seeing how the Middle Earth decay, and Sauron won more and more Power, specially after Isildur failed to beat him when he could... SO he was like "falling in the Dark Side of the Force" As he was so powerful he tried to understand the weapons and power of Sauron, and then while he was studying it, he was tricked by Sauron to think the best weapons he could use against Sauron were Sauron weapons, and that;s how by studying and trying to use Sauron weapons, he became like Sauron himself, but Sauron was more powerful, and he still keep on managing to submit Saruman to his real will!
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby BattleFrost » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:26 pm

Ya sry about that I get the two mixed up b/c their names are so similar. It now makes some more sence now Tar-Herunole. :)
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Previous

Return to The Tolkien League