Jackson Won't Return to the Shire Soon

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:44 am

i thought i posted about it, before, but i can't find the orig thread, so here goes, hehe :):

Thursday March 4 1:49 PM ET

Peter Jackson won't be returning to the Shire any time soon.

The Oscar-winning director is planning to film "The Hobbit," the prequel to "The Lord of the Rings," trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien, but two studios must first duke out the legal rights to the film.

Jackson said New Line has the rights to make the movie, but MGM has the rights to distribute it.

"I guess MGM's lawyers and New Line's lawyers are going to have a huge amount of fun over the next few years trying to work it all out," he told reporters recently in Los Angeles, according to AP Radio. "I'm obviously busy for a couple of years on King Kong so those lawyers can just go at it for a long time."

"The Hobbit" tells the story of Bilbo Baggins, who finds a powerful ring and eventually passes it on to his nephew, Frodo Baggins. Frodo's journey to Mount Doom to destroy the ring is the basis for the "Rings" books and films.

Jackson said if he were going to direct the movie, he'd want it feel like the rest of the trilogy.

"I'd want Ian McKellan to be back as Gandalf, I'd want it to feel like it was part of the same mythology that we've done with Lord of the Rings," Jackson said.

On Sunday, Jackson won an Academy Award for best director and shared the adapted-screenplay award with his two co-writers for the final "Rings" film "The Return of the King."

"Return of the King" swept this year's Academy Awards, winning 11 total.

___

On The Net:

http://www.lordoftherings.net
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Lord Reefer » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:52 pm

There still no guarantee they would ask Jackson to do it anyway. I've learnt from experience how hollywood and film/tv studios do business, not to make the best film, but to make money. For all we know MGM could win the tug of war, I dont know where that would leave us. There is also actors to consider, I know Ian Mckellen has said he wants to do it but I've not heard Ian Holm talk about it yet. There's so many things that could go wrong, I'm not going to get my hopes up yet.

(OK I lied, I'm already excited !! :lol )
Lord Reefer
Traveler

Postby Tar-Herunole » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:06 pm

I guess that now taht the money and the spirits are present, even if a different team bring it to the screens, it will still have quality.
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Rao » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:28 pm

Well, if they do do it, i want that same atmosphere that was present in LotR. It seemed as if you were actually there. Also, Ian Kellan must be gandalf, it is a must. But i heard that Kellan isn't really interested in wasting another 6 months on such a movie. But i cant wait, even though now it is business not "Hey lets do the Hobbit for everyone else and not our selfish selves."
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:25 pm

Yeah it would be better to have Ian McKellen back as Gandalf, Agent Smith (dont know his real name) back as Elrond, and Liv Tyler not in the movie at all :)
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:02 pm

Agent Smith (dont know his real name) back as Elrond

hugo weaving.

also, i think it'd be good if andy serkis - the person who played gollum - came back, as well.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:55 am

Agree with everything, and not the least with Tyler out of the movie!
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby ldma » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:37 am

Doesn't anyone else think that the Hobbit by it's very nature is going to be a bit of a disappointment after the epic antics that was LOTR...It would have been so much better to just make the Hobbit at the same time as the other 3 movies, show it first then release LOTR and give us 4 yearly treats of the movies instaed of three.
ldma
Traveler

Postby Tar-Herunole » Wed May 11, 2005 10:21 am

Back again? (I mean me :oops: )

Well I guess Idma is right and would have been the best to start the trilogy of 4 movies :MIB with the hobbit. I would have even supported to start with a few tales of the Silmarillion (Crazy Me!)

But I guess from a commercial point of view, the biggest the project, the higher was the risk. Now they can take an easy ride on the hobbit knowing it is a guaranteed success.
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu May 12, 2005 4:00 am

I thought you might have sailed back to Valinor with the rest of the elves! Glad to see you're still here, though! :)

Anyway, I agree with your last paragraph. I think LotR might have appealed to more people than the Hobbit did, and as such, LotR's success may make the Hobbit more successful than it might have otherwise been.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to The Tolkien League