Worst moment of the trilogy

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

Worst moment of the trilogy

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:58 pm

Well, I was thinking I don't like so much the acrobatics of legolas, in particular in TTT when he slides with the shield. Also the last 20 min of TRTK
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Lord Reefer » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:11 pm

I've only seen ROTK once so far but I thought there was great build up and anticipation to the final great battle. It had some great fight scenes but ended too abruptly. As soon as Aragorn steps off that ship (in a typical Hollywood over-dramatic style) and the army of the dead rush in, it all ends too quick for my taste.

I cant complain though, it was still awesome overall.

I'd have to agree about the sheild. And maybe doing the same jokes in ROTK that were from TTT. Eg Legolas and Gimley counting kills again.(made me cringe a little )
Lord Reefer
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:59 pm

they definitly overplayed legolas's abilities, and underplayed the abilities of gimli...

i think evlfrost would say that the part he liked the least was what they did with faramir.

for me... i don't know what the worst part would be, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:20 pm

I agree with Lord reefer on a relative dissapointment on the development of the battle. It was great in its first compasses and until the charge of the Eorlingas, butit seems as if the army of the death saved the city, and actually in the Book, when they come, Gandalf and the Rohirrim had kept the orcs in the first level, and the Rohirrim had won most of the field.

But the greatest dissapointment I must agree with Evl if that's his opinion is the ending of the third movie (I saw it yesterday again) and the treatment of Faramir. The greatness of Gondor in the book is given not so much in Denthor or Boromir, but specially by Faramir, the captain of the Guard that takes care of Pippin and the Prince of Dol Amroth.
The two later are not mentioned in the film, what is understandable. But spending 20 minutes of laughs, smiles, cute stares, tears, holding hands, looking eachoher with love, etc... is even from the film perspective a very stupid thing to do. They could have gone through the gathering of the Fellowship, the departure of Bilbo and Frodo for Aman, etc... much quicker and made time, if not for the Scourging of the Shire, at least for the Chapter 8 of the 6th Book, when Faramir and Eowyn meet eachother and fall in love. That's one of my favorite chapters and it would have been as sellable as nything that was on the film!
If I think of TLOTR, and I Had to choose to be a character I would choose Gandalf. If not allowed, and had to choose among the Children of Illuvatar, I would choose probably Glorfindel, for I love the Noldor. If had to choose among men, then Aragorn. But in all of these choices it woudl just be wishful thinking, because even Aragorn is more a Super Heroe than a man. He marries the most beautiful among the elves, he is accepted as a brother by the High Elves, he has command even over the Deatd... Not to negate his valor and his wisdom, he is something not the best of the humans could achieve...
But if after reading TLOTR I was asked who of them I would like to ressemble in my daily life... like a role model, that would be Faramir. Subject to all imperfections of men, he was wise and brave. He took the difficult decission of letting the Hobbits go without non High Elf agiving him counsel. He was pitiful but brave, had the problems with his father, that anyone could have with his own father or his boss, and always solved his problems valiantly and without much external help. and it's in the 8th chapter when he reveals all his humanity and his wisedom, when he falls in love with Eowyn and helps her to heal and to love him back... How many of us have a perfect woman predestined by birth adn we just found her, and there is no problem at all, and we marry and so so... Most of us are like Faramir, who fall in love with the wrong person, or in the wrong circumstances, and only by perseverance and love we gain the woman we love.... (ahh I guess I am a hidden poet :D )
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:59 am

Wow terra, you read my mind :)
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:45 am

What do you think about my view of Faramir, evl?
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:10 pm

I liked it. And yes that was bad scene to take out. They overplay Arwens part to have more romance yet leave out the romance between Faramir and Eowyn? Faramir is such a great character though. He was wise as his brother was strong. Impeccable morals and unwavering devotion.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:17 pm

I wondered if at least they will have it in the DVD. It would be good.
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:46 pm

Yeah but can you imagine how long to ee of RotK is going to be? *shudder*

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:53 pm

at least it will give us more to talk once the hype is going down!
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Cochon Violette » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:38 pm

One, I hate that they cut the Scouring, as that's my favorite part in all three books (not to mention the silmarillion)

Two, WHY IN THE MERRY F*CK WAS FARAMIR AFTER THE RING?!?!?!?!?!

that bothered me no end. And the fact that he does let them go doesn't make up for his gross lapse of character.

Grrr...
Queen of the PointyShiney

"He's madder than ...well, I can't think of anything right now, but he'd madder than some very, very mad thing." ~Draco, Draco Sinister by Cassie
Cochon Violette
Elite Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:10 pm

Well, you may say that if you seee the extended version of TTT the movie has some kind of internal coherence (yes, this is not SW), and even if he was not after the ring, he did not ewant to fail his father's expectations
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Lord Reefer » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:53 pm

I thought Faramir wanted the ring for the same reason that his brother Boromir wanted it. To use its power to defend Osgiliath and Minus Tireth from Sauron's army.

I heard an interview with Jackson that said the original first cut of Return of the King was over six hours long. He went on to say that the Special Edition DVD would be at least five hours long
Lord Reefer
Traveler

Postby Tar-Herunole » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:55 pm

Ahh... sounds so good! ^_^ Although it could be 5 hours including interviews and so, what would not really mean a big improvement.
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:04 pm

I dont think it would be including reveiws, since the scourging of the shire was in the ee.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Next

Return to The Tolkien League