Tolkien stories that could make great movies

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

Tolkien stories that could make great movies

Postby Tar-Herunole » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:43 am

TLoTR was a goos story in itself, and the Hobbit would be as well....
What else do you think? The Lay of Leithian (Beren and Luthien) It's difficulat to find things in the Silmarillion because everything is inter linked. Probably if Hollywood people got hands on it they will kill the story to make it commercial nad selfstanding
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:20 am

i agree that the lay of leithian would probably be the easiest of the silmarilian to do. narn i nin hurin might be doable, as well, although i imagine it'd be a tad harder than the lay of leithian.

a lot of the other things they could do, like the fall of gondolin, and tuor, et al, would be tough because for those to be as powerful as they are, you have to have a lot of background material...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:18 pm

Yeah it would be kinda hard to do some of these stories. The lay of Leithan would probably be the easiest since its not as long and you dont need the background info of Narn I Hin Hurin. It would be a romanitic film. Something you might want to take your girlfriend to. I think they should do it since they liked to overdo the Arwen/Aragorn relationship in the LOTR movies. This is kinda on the same line except even more so.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:28 pm

Right... the only problem I see is that there is too much magic and monsters in it, and that would really reduce the marketing target to freaks like us LOL "mature" people don't go to the movies to see things they cannot conceptualize :(
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Lord Reefer » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:23 pm

The Hobbit is already under discussion. New Line Cinema already jointly own the rights with another studio and are currently negotiating to get exclusive rights. In an Interview (may even have been on the DVD) Peter Jackson does talk about the possibilities of the Silmarrilion as well. So its a good bet that both may come to fruition in the near future. (I suspect the Silmarillion will hinge on how well the Hobbit does if and when it gets made)

The only thing we are assuming is that they will ask Peter Jackson back to make them. I would have thought they will, but any success of future projects, will surely hinge on this point.
Lord Reefer
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:25 pm

i believe a problem with the silmarillion will be the tolkien estate. the reason they aren't a problem when it comes to the lord of the rings (and perhapes the hobbit - i don't know) is because jrr tolkien sold the merchandising rights to those books to to saul zaentz, who produced the animated lord of the rings film (or something like that). in contrast, christopher tolkien, jrr tolkiens son, published the silmarilion, and... christopher tolkien has never seemed to really like the idea of the lord of the rings being adapted to a movie, anyways.

to better appreciate christopher tolkien's stance on the movies, here's a quote from an article:

[Peter Jackson] wants to save the thousands of swords, suits of armour, costumes and sets used in the films in a museum but the estate's custodian Christopher Tolkien, who has refused to endorse the movies, won't give permission.

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0, ... 77,00.html
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:25 am

Strange... I have seen them in the Science Museum of London, a travelling show from Jackson and Zeta (or whatever the name of the special effects)
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:24 am

that is kinda strange... perhapes it has something to do with the fact that it's not a museum dedicated to tolkien, whereas the proposed one would be?

also, weta digital is the company that does the graphics for LotR, iirc.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:26 pm

Ok, Weta, not Zeta. You may be right. ANd the name of the exposition is THe Lord of the Rings
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:40 am

Heh, I wouldnt allow something from those movies in a tolkien museum either. Quite frankly, it was boderline blasphemy.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:47 am

Iconoclast! Probably you would only admit the books themselves, isn't it? Wouldn't blame you much.
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:06 pm

Actually I would amit all stuff written by him and his son. A collection of his notes while writing these things would make for a very good museum imo.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Return to The Tolkien League