Homonimous...

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

Homonimous...

Postby Tar-Herunole » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:34 pm

Elves, as immortal, never repeated the names of their ancestors. That is why we can be certain that Glorfindel was the same in the Silmarillion and in TLotR.

However, men had different habits when naming their children... in this sense Aragorn was Aragorn II. But men, ususally Numenorians, used to take as well names of Elves of the First Age. For example Denethor, Marshal of Gondor in the Third Age, was also a Teleri of the First Age, son of Lenwe. Denethor led the Nandorin elves to Ossirian and was slain in the First battle, in the Amon Ereb.

I propose you guys, to look for more homonimous and present them in this thread...
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:35 pm

that's an interesting point about glorfindel :)

as for other homonimous... what are homonimous?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:53 pm

Sorry, I thought that was an english word, maybe not. Homonimous are people or things with the same names.

Another example is Boromir. Boromir was the first Lord of Ladros, in the House of Beor, an ancestor of Beren, and probably a far ancestor of both Aragorn, Denethor and the Boromir of the Third Age himself
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:22 am

i think a lot of dwarven names would be homonimous. there are multiple durins, for example.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:02 pm

Also one city: Minas Tirith was a citdel built by the Noldor of Fingolfin to watcch the pass of the Sirion. Its name meant the citadel of guard. Later, Minas Anon of Gondor, City of the Sun, changed its name to Minas Ithil as well. The funny thing is that both are related to another two homonimous, Ecthelion, Captain Noldo of Fingolfin, the one who slew Gothmog, and Ecthelion II a man, father of Denethor II, and Steward of Gondor as well. Both Minas Tirith had a tower of Ecthelion (in Gondor, the Whitre Tower) Meaning as well Tower of the fountain.
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:33 am

Actually it was Minas Anor, City of the sun, and it didnt change its name to Minas Ithil (city of the moon). Minas Ithil changed its name to Minas Morgul after it was captured by the Nazgul. Minas Anor changed it name to Minas Tirith.

Osigiliath was the Citidal of the Stars I belive.

And the caretaker of the crown in the last book of LOTR was named Beren I belive.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:47 am

Sorry wrote too fast last time.
I meant homonimous wer Minas Tirith, and the second was indeed Minas Anor changing to Tirith 9therefore homonimous...
I don't follow yo about the caretaker of the crown Beren?
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:12 am

Well I dont think that was his real title. Im not sure what his real title is. But hes the one that gave the crown to gandalf maybe?
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:51 pm

Oh I see! a very minor Beren in comparison, isn't it?
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:38 pm

another homonimous... elendil, father of isuildur, and tar-elendil, who was four generations below elros tar-minyatar. anarion was the younger son of elendil, and tar-anarion was the eight king of numenor.

also, although i've mentioned it elsewhere on this board, i had kinda forgotten about it, heh. grond is both the mace of morgoth and the battering ram of sauron. also, gothmog is both the lieutenant of morgoth, and the lord of the balrogs in the silmarillian. in the lord of the rings, gothmog is the lieutenant of sauron. there are of course other, more obvious hominomous, such as dark lord, dark years, and whatever.

and if we ignore the history of middle earth series, the glorifendal who slew gothmog bears the same name as the glorifendal who was in LotR.

finally, looking in the robert foster's the complete guide to middle earth...

there was aragorn, arahad, arathorn, argeleb, arveleg, atanatar, barahir, bard, belecthor, beleg, beregond, beren, boromir, calimehtar, calmacil, etc.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to The Tolkien League