mightiest deeds?

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

mightiest deeds?

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:22 am

after the destruction of the two trees, yavanna explained that the reason she could not recreate them was that there were some deeds that can only be accomplished once, and that the creation of the two trees was one such deed. she could, however, sorta revive the trees, with the light of the silmarils, but then feanor denied, saying that the silmarils were another such deed that could only be created once, and that he would sooner die then see his greatest deed destroyed, even though it may have brought back life to yavanna's greatest deed.

so, my question is... what other deeds fell into this catagory? the rings of power are probably another such deed. as the faq i posted earlier about the rings of power suggests, this could be the reason why sauron didn't make ten rings for men, or eleven, or some number greator than nine. this would also probably be celebrimbor's greatest deed.

i believe another such deed could be when melkor managed to ellude even the gaze of the valar through the unlight of ungoliant, and with this, managed to pretty much deprive the world of two such deeds.

frodo's great deed would probably be his destruction of the one ring, gandolf's great deed would probably be the slaying of a balrog, or perhapes the returning to middle earth as gandolf the white, or something.

what do you think some of the other deeds are?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:00 pm

I guess Frodo's deed was not the destruction, but the bearing of the Ring in itself! Aragorn's could have been the domination of the Palantir, but more probably his ride into the path of the Dead....

Nonetheless, I guess that the deeds Yavanna and feanor refer to, are more acts of craft, than of valour... so the Ring will qualify, as the Silmarills, the Ships of the Teleri, the Necklace of the Dwarves for Finrod, Anglachel/Gurthang, made by Eol from an Iron meteorit...

And maybe in a similar cathegory we could find the birth of Feanor for Miriel, and of Luthien for Melian
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:09 am

sounds quite reasonable :)

i wonder what galadrial's greatest deed would be... perhapes just surviving the helcaraxe? if it were the defense of lothlorien from all enemies of lesser stature than sauron, himself, then it stands to reason that the girdle of melain, which protected belerand from all enemies of lessure stature than melkor, could instead be melain's greatest deed. however, i think i like your idea of luthien being melain's greatest deed a bit better :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to The Tolkien League